In the past few years we have made a point of trying to include more fish in our meals, one of our favorite fish is tuna steaks. Tuna’s health benefits are immense: tuna is packed with nutrients and its a good source of omega 3 fatty acids with are great for our brains and our hearts. This is a great choice for the health conscious family and its delicious as well!
Tuna , unlike other fish, is easy to cook on the grill because of it’s firm consistency. The best part about tuna steaks on the grill is how fast it cooks without loosing most of its moisture.
I love adding some spice to my food today I will share with you my recipe for tuna with creamy chipotle sauce, giving an already wonderful food a little touch of Latin flavor and some kick.
Chipotle has a great, smoked flavor and has become very popular but what most people don’t know is that chipotle is not a type of chili but it’s a smoked and dried jalapeño pepper usually produced in Chihuahua Mexico.
To accompany this hearty dish I grilled some avocados. I love avocados and really like the smoked flavor they acquire when you grill them. To grill the avocados simply but the avocado in half, remove the see, brush a bit of olive oil on them and place them face down on the grill for a couple of minutes. Before eating I add a splash of lime juice and salt and pepper, simply delicious!
- FOR THE TUNA
- no stick spray
- olive oil for brushing on the tuna steaks
- salt and pepper to taste
- FOR THE CHIPOTLE SAUCE
- 4 1 inch tuna steaks
- 1 cup plain yogurt I used European style yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chipotle in adobo sauce– add more or less depending on how spicy you like it
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 tsp. cumin
- Apply some nonstick spray to the unheated grill.
- Heat up the grill and make sure it’s really hot.
- Brush the tuna steaks with olive oil and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place tuna steaks on the grill and grill each side for only 2 to 2 1/2 minutes. You just want to sear it. The center should be raw, like sushi, or the tuna will be tough and dry.
- Use a spatula to flip the tuna to prevent the fish from falling apart.
- To prepare the sauce place the chipotles in adobo sauce in a food processor and pulse until it has become a smooth sauce.
- Combine the chipotle sauce with the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Cut the tuna steak into thin slices and plate over a bed of greens.
- Spoon chipotle sauce over the tuna and enjoy!