In Guatemala tostadas are a staple, and although the traditional recipes for tostadas usually don’t include tuna I thought adding a healthy tuna salad to a crunchy tostada would be a fun way to create an after school snack for the kids. To make the tostadas I used Bumble Bee® Albacore tuna and combined it with fresh ingredients. Bumble Bee® Albacore products are an easy and delicious way to add a variety of nutrients to your diet including lean protein, healthy fat, and important vitamins and minerals.
- FOR THE TOSTADAS
- 6 to rtilla tostadas
- 2 cans of Bumble Bee® Albacore tuna in water
- 1/4 cup chopped tomato
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 Hass avocado
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice
- 2 tablespoons of freshly chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons of cilantro crema
- FOR THE CILANTRO LIME CREMA
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 garlic cloves minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Put the cilantro and garlic in food processor and pulse until well combined.
- Add yogurt, lime peel and salt and pulse again until well combined.
- Mix the tuna, tomato, onion and lime juice.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the tuna mixture over the tortilla.
- Top with slices of avocado, drizzle with cilantro lime crema and fresh cilantro.
For this recipe I used greek yogurt instead of crema which also makes this recipe healthier and the yogurt combined with the cilantro and lime provides lots of flavor and a fresh taste to this easy dish.
This is an easy recipe that even the kids can make and I love that it reminds me of traditional recipes that I used to eat at home when I was a kid but this version is not only much easier than an enchilada (a Guatemalan dish that is served on a tostada, very different from the Mexican enchiladas) but also leaner and much healthier. My mother used to make delicious enchiladas and also really great tostadas with guacamole, refried black beans or tomato salsa and they where the perfect afternoon snack and now I am creating our own version of tostadas for my kids and relieving with them those fun after school moments enjoying a merienda or afternoon meal or snack.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.