This vegan version of arroz con leche made with coconut milk combined with sweet and fresh mango is the perfect summer dessert and would even make a wonderful and healthy breakfast. I love that arroz con leche can also be eaten cold or warm but this version is definitely better chilled so the you can enjoy the freshness of the fruit.
Growing up arroz con leche or rice pudding was always my go to comfort food. It was one of my favorite desserts and I still remember my grandmother’s recipe and how I’ve never eaten arroz con leche like her’s.
Arroz con leche is a traditional comfort food in many Latin American countries but what I did not know until recently is that it’s also big in Thailand where coconut and mango arroz con leche is sold even in the streets although there it’s called coconut and mango sticky rice.
- 1 cup fresh mango, diced
- 2 cups of cooked rice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- shredded coconut
- Add milk, rice, honey and cinnamon stick to a saucepan. Heat until boiling softly.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until milk has reduced and the rice is to your desired consistency.
- Remove from heat, season with cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Place in the refrigerator covered until chilled.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of mango to a mason jar.
- Add coconut arroz con leech until the mason jar is about 3/4 full.
- Add another layer of fresh mango.
- Top with a couple of strawberries.
- Sprinkle with shredded coconut.
The tropical flavors of coconut and mango really pair well together and topping this dessert with a few strawberries gives it a hint of tanginess that really brings all the flavors together.
For this version of arroz con leche I chose jasmin rice just because that is what I had in mind but you can make a leaner and healthier version by using brown rice and low fat coconut milk. When cooking arroz con leche it’s important to make sure that the rice is not over cooked as you want to maintain the integrity of the rice grains while still getting a pudding like consistency.
Putting the mango and coconut arroz con leche in mason jars makes it easy to take on a picnic or anywhere else and makes for a great presentation for parties and get togethers, besides making this easy to store in individual portions.
If you love traditional arroz con leche make sure you give this tropical coconut mango version a try!