This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #OnePanPronto #
This easy one-pan seafood and chorizo fideua recipe makes for a delicious and easy dinner that will wow your family and no one will believe that it took you less than 30 minutes to prepare this pasta version of paella!
As the kids go back to school and we have to settle into our crazy back to school routines with school pick ups, homework and after school activities there is just less time and energy left for cooking dinner. That is why I am excited to share with you this amazing recipe for a truly fantastic one-pot fideua recipe that kids and adults will love!
This seafood fideua is very similar to a paella but instead of using rice you make it with pasta and because I used Barilla Pronto Pasta, which allows for one-pan pasta meals to be created with no need to wait for water to boil, and no draining required. And one of the best parts of this was that because I cooked everything in the same pot the cleanup afterwards was minimal!
I gave this recipe my own personal touch by adding Barilla Pesto sauce which is a 100% natural and made with authentic Italian herbs which gave it truly special and delicious balanced flavor which combined perfectly with the chorizo and the seafood. If you are really in a rush you can probably skip the onion and tomato on this recipe and replace it with some Barilla Tomato Sauce instead, I think I might just try that next time.
I have always been a fan of Spanish paellas but until our trip to Spain this summer I had never tried the fideua before. We ordered a fideua in Salamanca and from the first bite I was hooked! Personally I like pasta better than rice so this version of the paella is now my favorite and it’s also easier to make and quicker. This dish looks amazing and it would also be great to make if you are having family or friends over. For this fideua I used shrimp, mussels and chorizo but you can also make a chicken version which is more budget friendly for a weekday dinner.
I had never tried the Barilla Pronto pasta before and I was really surprised at how easy it was to use, I did not need to wait for the water to boil and the pasta cooked quickly. I was not sure about the how long it would take for the liquids to be absorbed when I was cooking this and even though there was a bit more liquid in the pan than the recommendation on the directions on the box the Barilla Pronto pasta maintained its shape and texture. I reheated some of the leftovers the next day the pasta was still firm and not overcooked!
Easy One-Pan Spanish Chorizo and Seafood Fideua
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2/3 of a box of half cut Barilla Pronto Pasta Spaghetti
- 10 whole shrimp defrosted if frozen
- 12 mussels cleaned
- ¼ onion finely chopped
- 1 to mato finely chopped
- ¼ cup sweet bell pepper finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons Barilla Pesto Sauce
- 2 Spanish chorizos sliced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Spanish paprika
- 2 1/2 cup cooking seafood stock
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ teaspoon of cayenne optional
- fresh cilantro for garnish
- lemon wedges
- Heat about one-third of the olive oil in a wide frying pan or paella pan over a medium heat.
- Add the dried pasta and fry for about 5 minutes, or until it turns golden. Don’t crowd the pan; you might want to do this in two batches.
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add another tablespoon of the olive oil to the pan, increase the heat and add the shrimp, garlic powder and ½ tsp paprika.
- Cook the shrimp for about 4 minutes or until they turn slightly red turning them once.
- Remove the shrimp and set aside.
- Add the rest of the olive oil, the onion and the sweet bell pepper and cook for about 3 minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Add the chopped tomato and the rest of the paprika and cook for another two or three minutes.
- Add the seafood stock, salt and the fried pasta and cook uncovered for 5 minutes. Push down on the noodles with a wooden spoon as they soften into the broth.
- Add the chorizo, the pesto and the mussels. Push down on the mussels to make sure they are partially submerged and make sure to discard any opened mussels.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Uncover and discard any mussels that did not open and add the cooked shrimp.
- Turn off the heat and leave the pan on the burner 2-3 minutes more to create a toasted layer of pasta on the bottom of the pan.
- Garnish with lime wedges and fresh cilantro and serve immediately.
- If you like heat add a dash of cayenne pepper to your plate to give it a little kick.
I bought the Barilla Pronto pasta and the Barilla Pesto sauce at my local Walmart and was pleasantly surprised to find out that for every box of Barilla® Pronto™ purchased at Walmart between 7/31/2016 and 10/31/2016, Barilla® will donate 10 meals to kids in need through No Kid Hungry, up to half-a-million meals.* Not only is this a great product that saves you time and minimizes clean up but it’s also a product you can feel good about buying!
You can find lots more one-pan easy pasta recipes on Barilla’s website which are all perfect for a quick no-mess weekday dinner. I’m thinking of trying the Creamy One Pan Broccoli Cheddar Penne or the Penne with pepperoni recipe next week.
*$1.00 can provide a child 10 healthy meals. This amount is based on individual experiences of grant recipients. Contributions will be used to reach the highest number of children facing hunger in America. Share Our Strength is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization.