This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and Constellation Brands. All opinions are mine alone. The following content is intended for readers who are 21 or older. #SummertimeCerveza #CollectiveBias
A tropical twist on the popular michelada beer cocktail this recipe adds mango and a little heat. Combined it with mango beer braised street tacos and get ready to enjoy the summer!
As summer arrives it brings with it the desire to spend time outdoors with friends and family. It’s a time for turning any weekend or weekday evening or afternoon into a fun and carefree cookout or BBQ. Having lived most of my life in Guatemala, cheladas, made with an ice cold Corona Extra are always a part of those summer everyday celebrations. Sipping a tangy, spicy and refreshing chelada, the most popular beer cocktail in my country, always transport me to a special place. In my home cheladas have to be made with cerveza Corona Extra, it’s part of the chelada tradition and it wouldn’t be a chelada without Corona.
As I prepared to take a break from the craziness that usually takes over my weekends and take some time for myself to enjoy with my husband I decided to make a special chelada recipe and accompany it with some beer braised carnita tacos, my favorites! My inlaws have a mango tree in their backyard and mango with lime is also a summer staple and sort of a summer tradition so I thought it would be fun to combine my favorite summer “adult” drink with my favorite summer childhood snack to create a mango chelada. And while I was at it why add some mango to my beer braised carnitas too!
Mango Chelada Recipe
- 1 bottle of Corona Extra
- ½ oz. lime juice
- 1 cup mango, cut into chunks
- 1 cup of water
- ½ cup sugar
- Combine mango, water and sugar in a blender until smooth.
- Fill serving glass 1/2 with ice.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Stir gently and garnish with lime and mango.
Mango beer-braised carnitas tacos
- 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder cut 1 ½ inch chunks
- 1 bottle Corona Extra
- 1⁄3 cup mango puree
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 medium onion, peeled
- 3 large garlic cloves, slightly crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- Combine the pork, ¾ of the Corona Extra, mango, lime juice, onion, garlic and bay leaf in a heavy pan over medium high heat.
- Season the pork with cumin, salt and black pepper to taste and add to the pan.
- Add enough water just to cover, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until tender, about 1½ hours.
- Uncover, raise heat to medium, and cook until liquid has largely evaporated, about 20 minutes more.
- Remove the carnitas from the pan and shred using two forks.
- Discard onion, garlic and bay leaf.
- Return carnitas to the pan and add remaining ¼ cup of Corona Extra beer.
- Continue cooking pork, turning pieces from time to time, until caramelized and falling apart, about 20 minutes more.
- Serve with tortillas, avocado, cilantro and limes.
As I took the first sip of my new creation, the bubbly smooth cerveza blending with the sour lime with a hint of sweetness from the mango suddenly my hectic day just slipped away and I found my happy place. This is what summer is all about: celebrating every summer day with a cervecita (or cheladita) and some fantastic tacos! No matter how busy you are you need to make time to celebrate and relax and create great summer moments and memories. Don’t wait for a special occasion but enjoy every summer day. Hay que saber vivir!
I’m just loving the new Corona summer packaging which inspires me to create those fun summer moments, no need to head to the beach for that, though! Right now you can save on Corona Extra by visiting Checkout 51, you can find the coupon in the “Beer, Wine & Spirits” section of the site.