This post is sponsored by Real California Milk. However, the content and opinions expressed here are my own.
This cheesy chipotle chicken enchilada with pumpkin squash sauce recipe takes your traditional enchiladas to the next level. Filled with delicious winter flavors this pumpkin enchilada recipe is the perfect dish for entertaining family and friends this holiday season.
Enchiladas are one of our favorite foods. I’ve been eating traditional Mexican enchiladas since I was a little girl. My favorite back then where the Enchiladas Suizas with a creamy green sauce. I’ve never been a huge fan of the enchiladas with a tomato-based sauce. For that reason, I prefer enchiladas that are cheesy and creamy. Over the years I’ve experimented quite a bit with different enchilada recipes. As a result, you could say I have become somewhat of an enchilada expert. We eat and make a lot of enchiladas in our home and let me tell you that this recipe has become our favorite enchilada recipe this holiday season! I’m simply in love with the pumpkin squash sauce; it’s creamy and smooth and filled with our favorite seasonal flavors.
The key to making these chipotle chicken enchiladas with pumpkin sauce go from great to amazing is using Real California Hispanic-style cheeses. We used traditional Mexican cheeses like Oaxaca, Quesadilla and Queso Fresco for this recipe and let me tell you it really makes a huge difference! When looking for Hispanic cheeses we look for cheeses that have the Real California Milk seal. The Real California Milk seal indicates that dairy products are made with milk from locally owned and operated farms in California.
Cheesy Chipotle Chicken Enchiladas with Pumpkin Squash Sauce
Ingredients for Cheesy Chipotle Chicken Enchilada Filling
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon chipotle adobo sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup of shredded Real California Oaxaca or Quesadilla cheese (authentic Mexican melting cheeses)
Ingredients for Pumpkin Squash Sauce
- 1 medium acorn squash
- 1 tablespoon Real California butter
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- ½ cup chicken stock
- teaspoon salt
Ingredients for enchiladas
- 8 flour tortillas
- cheesy chipotle chicken mixture
- Pumpkin Squash Sauce
- ¼ cup Real California Oaxaca or Quesadilla cheese
- ½ cup of Real California Queso fresco
- ¼ cup of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado sliced
- Real California Mexican crema
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cut the acorn squash in half lengthwise. Using a spoon remove the seeds. Spray a shallow baking pan with cooking spray and arrange squash halves, cut sides down. Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes or until tender.
- Remove acorn squash from the oven and scoop the flesh into a bowl. Discard the skin.
- In a large saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, and ginger. Cook stirring frequently until onion is translucent. Add squash flesh, chicken stock, pumpkin puree, salt and pepper to taste. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer the sauce to a blender and blend until smooth, add more chicken stock if it’s too thick.
- To make chicken filling place a pan in medium-high heat. Add shredded chicken, chipotle adobo sauce and chicken stock. Heat chicken for a couple of minutes or until liquid has been absorbed. Transfer chicken to a large bowl and add salt and pepper to taste and shredded Oaxaca or Quesadilla cheese and mix well.
- Spray the bottom of a 9” by 13” baking dish with cooking spray and pour ½ cup of the sauce into the baking dish.
- To assemble the enchiladas place come of the chicken and cheese mixture along the center of the tortilla. Add some crumbled Queso Fresco cheese and sprinkle some fresh cilantro.
- Roll up the tortilla to contain the filling inside and place the tortilla seam side down in the baking dish. Repeat with the rest of the tortillas.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the top. End with a generous sprinkling of Oaxaca cheese.
- Bake the enchiladas for 20 minutes, or until bubbly. Finally, drizzle with Mexican crema and sprinkle chopped cilantro over the. Serve with sliced avocado and lime wedges.
If you love like enchiladas you’re sure to love these cheesy chipotle chicken enchiladas with pumpkin squash sauce. They’re sure to become your go-to recipe for entertaining family and friends for the holidays! You can make the chicken filling and sauce ahead and put these together in no time! And don’t forget to make them with cheese that has the Real California Milk seal on it.
Did you know that 99% of California dairies are family owned? So, by buying California dairy you’re buying real food from real people!
Elevate your holiday meals by cooking your favorite dishes with wholesome, flavorful California cheeses. I bought Real California Products at Publix but you can use the Product Locator tool to find them near you. The Real California Milk seal means the product is made with 100 percent milk from California’s 1,300 dairy farm families.