“This is a sponsored post in collaboration with “Clangers”and Coolabi. All opinions are my own.”
I this time of the year: the fragrance of our tree filling the house with Christmas spirit, Christmas music that brings back memories of childhood, sharing traditions with the kids and seeing their excitement as they count off the days until Santa’s arrival. But one of my favorite things about Christmas is giving, because nothing makes you feel better, happier and fuller than giving whether you’re picking out that special gift for someone you love or giving back to your community.
Giving back is something kids can learn about from an early age and I am always on the lookout for programs that promote kindness and have positive messages and that is why we love The Clangers show on Sprout. The Clangers, is a stop-motion series on Sprout that features a unique family of imaginary pink long-nosed creatures who live on a small blue planet in space. These inquisitive and adventurous creatures – who are very loving and supportive of each other and their friends – communicate through distinctive Clanger whistles. The Clangers family – alongside a cast of many other extraordinary creatures – create a warm and harmonious world of fun, imagination, exploration and invention.
I want my kids to understand that giving is more important than receiving and that we all have a responsibility to give back to our community. Every year we give back to those who are in need both here and back in Guatemala by making donations to different organizations but this year I wanted to make giving back more personal and I wanted to get the kids involved. To make this fun and more hands on we decided to create some cute reindeer mason jars, we filled them up with cookies we baked at home and we will be taking these to a nursing home on Christmas Eve.
Reindeer Mason Jars
These reindeer mason jars are super easy to make, here is what you need:
- 2 brown foam sheets
- 6 16 oz mason jars
- 6 brown chenille stems or pipe cleaners
- red pom poms
- Google eyes (I like the self stick ones which are great for doing crafts with the kids)
- Glue gun and glue sticks
- Small jingle bells
- Twine or jute
- Holiday tags (we got these cute reindeer ones at Target)
- Cut the foam sheets into two inch pieces. Wrap one 2inch piece around the center of the mason jar and glue with the glue gun in low setting.
- I also cut a round piece of foam sheet to cover the lid.
- Using the glue gun glue the nose and then add the google eyes to the front of your mason jar.
- Create the antlers using the pipe cleaners and glue them to the top of the lid.
- Tie a jingle bell to each end of a piece of jute or twine and tie around the mouth of the mason jar.
- Fill the jar with candy, chocolate or home made cookies.
These where so much fun to make and they really got the kids excited about going to the nursing home and giving them out. We also used these cute reindeer mason jars to put a gift card into and use as gifts for the kid’s teachers and they are a great options for last minute gifts as they take just a few minutes to make and look so cute!
Clangers love to spread kindness on the blue planet and want to spread kindness every chance we get! How do you give back with your family? Join the #SproutClangers hashtag and share how you celebrate and give back during the holidays?