This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #ForTheLoveOfHam #CollectiveBias
Christmas time is all about traditions. No matter what part of the world your family originates from there are certain foods and celebrations that encompass the season for you and your crew. We have some wonderful Cuban friends living in Florida that celebrate Noche Buena or Christmas Eve with a typical Lechon, or roast pork. Some French friends stuff a goose and Italian friends cook 7 different fish to enjoy on that night. We just like being invited to partake in their holiday traditions and, most especially, their traditional foods!
You can’t go to your friends and family’s holiday fests without bringing along something to share. This year I decided to take a typically American holiday staple, the ham, and put a Diaz spin on it. Most Americans can picture the Holiday ham with a few pineapple slices and cherries adorning the top. The pineapple roasting alongside the ham gives it a sweet and succulent flavor that I didn’t want to mess with in my recipe. I did want to put my own twist on it, however, and so I headed to Walmart to pick up a delicious Hormel Cure 81 bone-in ham Cherrywood flavor.
Instead of slow roasting a pineapple covered ham I picked the Hormel Cure 81 bone-in ham Cherrywood flavor because it is much easier to prepare without sacrificing a bit of ham’s salty succulence that makes it so popular at the holidays. I decided to create a Pineapple Sweet Potato Salad, because it lends well to a holiday potluck, is healthier and of course keeps the delicious combination of Ham and pineapple that work so well together. The dressing is a slightly spicy dijon base that marries the sweet and succulent flavors of ham and pineapple perfectly. I’m sure this will be a hit with whoever you decide to serve it to this Christmas!
Pineapple Sweet potato Salad
- 2 large sweet potatoes (about 1.25 pounds)
- 2 tbsp. yogurt
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, minced (about half of 1 bunch)
- ½ c. thinly sliced red bell pepper
- ½ c. coarsely chopped fresh pineapple
- 1/2 small green onion
- First prick in several places sweet potatoes with a fork. Microwave on High about 8 to 9 minutes, or until tender, turning over midway through cooking. Cool potatoes and peel off skin and cut into 1/2-inch chunks.
- I a large bowl, mix yogurt, Dijon mustard, salt, black pepper and cilantro until blended.
- Add sweet potato chunks, red pepper, pineapple, and green onion to yogurt mixture. Toss gently until evenly coated. Sprinkle with cilantro leaves.
So if you are looking for something fun and delicious, the salad with Hormel Cure 81 Ham will be easy to prepare and serve. Making everything stress free.