This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #FireUpTheGrill #CollectiveBias
This delicious guava placed skewer recipe is easy to make and the perfect recipe for the grill.
While in the rest of the country people might fire up the grill only during the spring and summer months, here in Florida we use the grill year round. Almost every weekend we are home and not traveling we get together with my parents and get the grill going, there we all cook together and make everything on the grill from meats to side dishes and desserts. There are so many grilling recipes but this time we decided to make some skewers: they are versatile, quick to cook and also easy to eat.
Paula bought some guava paste the last time we where visited our local Latino market so I decided to give our favorite Kraft BBQ sauce a little twist by adding the guava paste as well as a little bit of heat to create a delicious spicy guava BBQ sauce for our chicken skewers.
Grilled Spicy Guava Glazed Chicken Skewers with Pineapple Avocado Salsa
- FOR THE CHICKEN SKEWERS
- 4 chicken breasts cut into cubes
- Oscar Mayer bacon cut into squares
- 1 cup Kraft Barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup of gava paste cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons of chipotle adobo sauce
- 6 skewers
- kosher salt
- freshly crushed blacked pepper
- FOR THE SALSA
- 2 tablespoons of Kraft Zesty Italian salad dressing
- 5 slices of fresh pineapple
- 2 hass avocados cut into cubes
- 2 roma tomatoes cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoons of lime juice
- 1 tablespoon of orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh cut cilantro
- salta and pepper to taste
- If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes.
- In small saucepan, combine guava paste, BBQ sauce and chipotle.
- Simmer over low heat, stirring with fork, until guava paste dissolves and sauce is smooth, about 5 minutes. If sauce is too thick add a couple of tablespoons of water.
- Alternate threading the chicken cubes and the bacon on the skewers and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place skewers on the grill and cook for 4 minutes per side.
- Brush sauce evenly over chicken.
- Cook for two more minutes on each side or until bacon is crisp but not burned.
- Grill the pineapple slices until they are golden brown and caramelized on both sides. About 2 minutes on each side.
- Place red onion in a strainer or sieve and rinse under cool water to remove harsh bite. Drain well.
- Cut the grilled pineapple into small pieces.
- In a bowl combine the onion, cilantro, avocado, tomato and pineapple.
- In a separate bowl whisk together lime juice,orange juice, Kraft Zesty Italian salad dressing, add salt and pepper to taste until well combined.
- Pour the liquid over the avocado mixture and gently toss to evenly coat.
- Serve the skewers with a side of salsa.
One of my favorite things to grill are pineapples, they caramelize when placed on the grill and I just love their sweet tanginess. Using grilled pineapples I made a pineapple avocado salsa to accompany the chicken skewers. Both the skewers and the salsa can be prepared in minutes because we are starting off with some favorite Kraft staples that we have at home always like the Kraft Zesty Italian salad dressing and the Kraft Barbecue Sauce. You can use shortcuts when cooking on the grill by using products you love and adding your own personal twist.
I picked up all of the ingredients for this recipe at my local Walmart, they had lots of fresh produce and I really like making recipes using lots of fruits and veggies for a balanced, nutritious and better for you meal.