This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. All opinions are mine alone. The following content is intended for readers who are 21 or older. #CollectiveBias
Soccer is huge in Guatemala and I remember playing with my friends and cousins growing up and I have very fond memories of my family and friends getting together to watch big soccer matches on the TV. Those get togethers where always accompanied by delicious food, usually tacos, and an ice cold cerveza Modelo.
There’s just something about watching a soccer game with your friends and family, specially when you come from a country where soccer is just part of your culture and your DNA. A place where you learn to kick a soccer ball almost as soon as you learn to walk and where soccer is more than a game, it’s a celebration that brings people together. When that ball is projected into the net by your favorite team and the everyone in the room breaks out into an exhilarating chorus of “Gooooooooool” followed by cheers and the clicking of glass beer bottles as everyone wishes “salud” to each other the room is just filled with excitement and happiness and a feeling of togetherness that is hard to achieve in any other situation. It’s that love of the game and the sharing of traditions like tacos and an ice cold Modelo that makes watching soccer games with friends and family something to always look forward to.
This year I’m can’t wait to watch the Gold Cup and cheer for my favorite teams, in this case Mexico and the USA! Paula is also excited as watching the soccer games together has become a family tradition that we both look forward to. It’s one of those fun things that we can share and that makes us feel connected.
I’m super excited Modelo is the Proud Sponsor of the 2017 Gold Cup! Now my favorite beer is the Official Beer of the Beautiful Game. Be on the lookout their new packaging showcasing this exciting new sponsorship, and make sure you participate in their sweepstakes where you will have the chance to WIN an international soccer experience in 2018! How awesome would that be?!!
I’ve always really enjoyed drinking Modelo, it’s rich, full-flavored Pilsner-style taste delivers a crisp, refreshing taste. Inspired by soccer and by my love for a great tasting beer like Modelo I’ve created a new version of one of my favorite dishes, these chipotle beer braised taco recipe is easy to make and perfect for sharing with friends.
Easy Chipotle Beer Braised Tacos
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can fire roasted tomatoes
- ¼ cup chipotle chile peppers in adobo sauce, chopped and seeded
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup Modelo beer
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup of thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1 hass avocado, cut into cubes
- queso fresco
- one lime
- Add the fire roaster tomatoes,chipotle chile peppers in adobo sauce, oregano, cumin, chili powder and 1/2 cup of Modelo beer to a food processor. Pulse a few times until the all ingredients are well combined.
- Place chicken in the crockpot or slow cooker and add the tomato and chipotle mixture. Cook on Low for 3 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred using 2 forks.
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan, add onion and garlic and cook until onion is translucent.
- Add chicken to the pan along with remaining 1/4 cup of Modelo beer .
- Simmer for 30 minutes to 45 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Warm the tortillas by heating a medium frying pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tortilla at a time, flipping to warm both sides.
- Add chicken, slaw, avocado, fresh cilantro, crumbled queso fresco and a squeeze of lime to each tortilla.
Modelo’s well-balanced taste and orange blossom honey aroma with a hint of herb gives this recipe a delicious and rich flavor and when paired with an ice cold Modelo while watching the excitement of a soccer game, everything just falls into place and comes together!
As the son of Guatemalan immigrants I can really identify with Modelo’s new ad. For me it really exemplify’s everything that I hold true: that coming together is all about forgetting where you come from or who you are and all about sharing and being there for each other. Modelo beer was created to celebrate a revolution and for me it represents that fight, the hard work that goes into creating the American dream. It also reminds me of my Latin American heritage and makes me feel closer to my roots. It’s the beer I choose when I want to celebrate something that I has a special meaning to me, like soccer!
You can check out Modelo’s awesome ad below.