Thank you Rio Luna Organic Peppers for sponsoring this post. Rio Luna Organic Peppers are certified organic, non-GMO, fat free, cholesterol free, low calorie and Kosher. For flavorful and spicy recipe ideas follow Rio Luna on Facebook and Instagram.
Food is a huge part of our family’s holiday traditions. Back in Guatemala, I used to eat tamales every Nochebuena (Christmas Eve) but tamales take so much effort and time to make. In the search for an alternative to the traditional Guatemalan tamales I came up with the idea of creating a tamale casserole. This Green Chile Turkey Tamale Casserole brings together all of those flavors from my childhood yet takes less than 30 minutes to prepare!
To make this recipe I used a couple of cans of Rio Luna diced green chiles, which I added to tomatillo sauce to make the turkey tamale filling which turned it from good to amazing! Not only are Rio Luna chiles certified organic and non-GMO but they also taste delicious, just like the chiles back Guatemala. This recipe is the perfect addition to any holiday get together and a great dish for bringing to any holiday potluck party and the turkey with green chile sauce makes for a great dish all on it’s own too!
Green Chile Turkey Tamale Casserole Recipe
- 3 cups cooked turkey, shredded
- 2 cups green tomatillo sauce, I used storebought
- 1 cup Rio Luna organic diced chiles
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 cups masa harina flour (corn tortilla flour)
- 1 1/2 cups of chicken
- 1 cup of shortening, melted
- 2 cups of shredded cheese, I used Mexican blend
- chopped red onion
- chopped chives
- Queso fresco (crumbling Mexican cheese)
- Mexican crema
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Mix masa harina flour, chicken broth and melted shortening with your hands until you have masa with a sticky consistency.
- Coat a medium casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Put the masa on the bottom of the casserole and spread evenly with a spatula.
- Combine shredded turkey, green tomatillo sauce, 1/2 cup of the Rio Luna organic diced chiles and cilantro. You want the turkey to be well coated but do not want the mixture to have too much sauce or be too watery.
- Using a slotted spoon add turkey mixture over the layer of masa and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle with the cheese.
- Place casserole on the lowest rack of the oven and cook for 30 minutes or until cheese starts to bubble.
- Serve topped with diced onion, chives, queso fresco, crema, and more Rio Luna organic diced chiles.
I really like that Rio Luna Organic Peppers are not only great tasting and great quality but the company also uses sustainability practices such as drip irrigation, recycling initiatives and crop rotation to cultivate the best possible peppers in the most responsible way. I love when a company not only makes a great product but they also care for the environment.
The Rio Luna diced green chiles added a kick of flavor to the green tomatillo sauce turning this dish from great to fantastic. I’m stocking up on a few cans of these green chiles so that I can just whip them up whenever I get inspired to cook something flavorful and spicy. Visit the Rio Luna Organic Peppers site here for coupons to purchase at Kroger or Whole Foods.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.