The charming city of Saint Augustine is located in the North-eastern part of Florida. It is the oldest European settlement in the continuous Unite States. The city was founded by the Spanish in the 16th century and still bears the mark of the Spanish culture and Hispanic heritage. The Spanish architecture, narrow cobblestone streets, cozy and small cafes and lamp-lit pubs provides a taste of unique Hispanic flavor. The city stills hold the old history in its hearts, the tale of Spanish explorer Juan Ponce de Leon, who claimed the land of this town on March 27, 1513. Later another Spanish explorer Pedro Menendez de Aviles formed this beautiful town.
Hispanic Heritage Month celebrated from 15th September to 15th October is the perfect time to travel to Saint Augustine were the Hispanic culture and history truly come to life.
Visiting San Augustine To Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month
Even after four centuries, the architecture from the Spanish Colonization can be seen in this beautiful city. Here are some great attractions where the Latino culture is ever present
- Pedro Menendez de Aviles celebrated the first Thanksgiving in the history of USA. During the Hispanic heritage month, a visit to the archeological park, Fountain of Youth, where the first Thanksgiving was celebrated, is a must. The place named Fountain of Youth is the place where the original Spanish settlement was founded.
- Castillo de San Marcos, located in Saint Augustine is the first masonry fortress built in the United States. It was built by the Spanish settlers to protect their own fleets from the pirates. A visit to this monument will provide you a glimpse of Spanish heritage.
- Along with the Castillo de San Marcos, also visit the places like Mission de Dios and Plaza de la Constitucion where the Spanish flavor can be still found.
- Ft Mose is a state park where the Spanish hospital was used to be. Today is a state park where you can visit to relive the Hispanic history.
- Your trip to explore Hispanic history and culture will not be complete without visiting the Colonial Quarter living museum. This authentic themed museum is sure to give you a glimpse of glorious past of the Hispanic heritage.
So undoubtedly, Saint Augustin is one of the the best places to visit to celebrate Hispanic heritage month. The whole city of San Augustine provides a unique Spanish flavor which is perfect to celebrate the heritage of Hispanic culture.
If you are traveling with children be sure to check out my article about Awesome Ways to Teach Latino History When Visiting St Augustine.
For more information on events, activities, holiday getaway and vacation opportunities in St. Augustine, Ponte Vedra & The Beaches, go to the Visitors and Convention Bureau website at www.FloridasHistoricCoast.com,like Florida Historic Coast on Facebook and follow @FlHistoricCoast on Twitter to stay informed of the latest events in St Augustine. To learn more about Saint Agustine’s Latino Spirit like Mi Latino Spirit on Facebook and follow @ViajaSanAgustin on Twitter.