A big part of taking a vacation is to give your mind and soul a break: time to get away from it all. Getting away is the best medicine to fight routine. When we are on vacation the last thing we have on our mind is making time for exercise. But you can stay active during vacations if you remain flexible, take time for yourself and find ways to exercise by doing something different. It’s very important not to have any expectations about how and how much you will exercise or about the results, after all you are on vacation.
When you pack for your vacation make sure to include some workout clothes and running shoes. Don’t think too much about it but be prepared: you don’t want to set a schedule or high expectations for yourself.
The best thing you can do is to find ways to exercise doing things you don’t normally do at home and changing the scenery: having fun is the key. Here are some tips on how you can keep exercising while on vacation and have fun doing it.
- Take advantage of what’s available wherever you are: rent a kayak, walk or run on a nature trails, rent a bike or take a walking tour with the family. On the beach take a few minutes to go for a run by your self and leave the kids with mom or dad, you can also go for long walks with the entire family. Walking or running on the sand takes double the effort and you can burn more calories in less time.
- If you are staying at a hotel take advantage of the facilities: make some time for weights at the hotel’s fitness center or take an early swim in the pool before it gets crowded.
- Go out and dance! If you can make some time for a date night with your better half while on vacation. If you are traveling with kids have the hotel recommend a sitter or sign the kids up for the hotel’s evening program. What better than to go out at night and move your body. Its a great exercise and you will not even feel it. Talk about a fun way to stay active!
- Your body is the best tool for resistance exercises: do push-ups, burpees, or any other exercise that does not require any equipment. If you can pack some resistance bands or a jump rope that’s even better.
- Let go of your expectations. You are on vacation and the last thing you want to do is stress yourself with the idea that you have to be constant with your exercise routine. Take it easy and improvise, focus on staying active and maintain your healthy lifestyle, that’s all. The best you can do for your body is to impact it with something completely different, just shocking the body with a different routine is good in itself.
Vacations are to re-energise your mind, body and soul so when exercising make it fun and stress free, that way you can enjoy it and keep doing it.
Keep up the good work.