I am on a mission to eat healthier this year. I have gotten rid of junk food and sodas in our home but we still need to eat smarter. We do not eat enough veggies and this is specially challenging because my kids and my husband are not big fans of veggies. So this year I am trying to come up with new and creative recipes that are healthy, nutritious and adventurous. I am on the lookout for smart food that is also versatile and easy to prepare. I don’t just want to eat healthier my goal is to have fun with my food too!
The other day while visiting a Mexican convenience store I stumbled upon a can of Cuitlacoche
also knows as huitlacoche. This is a kind of mushroom that grows on corn and it has a sweet and earthy taste, a little bit like mushrooms mixed with corn. Go figure! It is also very nutritious, more nutritious than the corn it grows on. Cuitlacoche or huitlacoche is loaded with lysine and it is packed with more beta-glucens, a soluble fiber, that corn.
Now the questions was how was I going to convince my picky family to give this delicious Mexican traditional food a try. That is where Tyson Grilled and Ready chicken came to the rescue! My husband can not live without his protein and the kids love the Tyson Grilled and Ready chicken. I use it all the time, it’s so versatile and makes it easy to add that protein to tacos, quesadillas, tostadas, enchiladas and the occasional lasagna and chow mein (we love our Chinese and Italian food too!) . 😉
- 2 cups of Tyson grilled and ready chicken cut into small squares
- 1 jar or one can of huitlacoche you can find it in Mexican or Latino convenience stores
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped orange and yellow sweet peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ripe Hass avocado
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 ancho chili rehidretad (you can also use 2 tablespoons of chipotle in adobo sauce)
- 8 corn tortillas
- fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil on medium heat. Add onion and garlic and saute until union is translucent.
- Add huitlacoche and salt and pepper to taste. Saute for two or three minutes on medium high heat moving constantly.
- Remove huitlacoche mixture from heat.
- Heat Tyson Grilled and Ready chicken according to instructions.
- While the chicken is heating combine the yogurt and the re-hydrated chili in a blender until well combined.
- Wrap tortillas in a paper towel and heat in microwave for 45 seconds.
- Assemble the tacos. Put some huitlacoche in each tortilla, add chicken, sweet pepper on slice of avocado and top with the ancho crema and fresh cilantro.
3 Smart Eating Tips for Families
Involve your children in the process by taking them to the grocery store. Let them choose between healthy options so that they feel like they have a say on what they are eating.
Let your children help you to prepare the foods. By cooking with your child you will be teaching him/or her not only how to prepare a meal from scratch but it’s also a great opportunity to talk about nutritious foods and to bond.
Cook traditional recipes using healthier ingredients. For our family it’s extremely important to connect with our culture and with our country through food but I also make changes to the recipes to make them healthier and more nutritious. When making flan I use fat free condensed milk, I bake or grill instead of frying and add fresh vegetables to those tacos or quesadillas. For this recipe I substituted cream for Greek yogurt and added loaded the tacos with protein and fresh veggies.
Grilled and Ready: Making Eating Well Easy and Fun
Did I mention that this year I want to eat smarter and have more fun doing it? Well Tyson has so much fun stuff going on you won’t want to miss it.
- Awesome twitter party: On January 9th at 1:00pm EST there is a twitter party where you can have the chance to win lots of great prizes and by that I mean $500 in Walmart gift cards! Just head on over HERE to RSVP and I’ll see you at the party on the 9th!
- In store demos: There will be in store demos from January 16th.-19th. Check out this list to see if there will be a demo in a Walmart near you!
- Get recipes, tips and the chance to win weekly prizes: Visit the Grilled and Ready Facebook page to get the help you need to start a smarter and healthier routine with simple additions to your everyday routines and to find out what the prize is this week! The program runs from January through March.
- Save money: Starting on December 30th 2013 the Grilled and Ready products will be on Rollback for just $5.87.
You can visit the Tyson website to find more about the Tyson Grilled and Ready products and to get some great and easy and healthy recipes. Like Tyson on Facebook and follow @TysonTweets on twitter to get tips and recipe ideas.
So head on to Walmart and grab a package of Tysons Grilled and Ready chicken. It’s the perfect addition to wraps, salads, empanadas or any other dish.