This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SamsClubMag #CollectiveBias
Make your beach picnic a success with this delicious tomato, avocado and mango pasta salad with chipotle dressing: the perfect healthy summer recipe!
This weekend we decided to head to the beach and celebrate the start of summer with a picnic. To get everything we would need for our day in the sun we headed to Sam’s Club where we picked up a copy of Sam’s Club Healthy Living Magazine and created a couple of easy recipes inspired the magazine’s super food for May and June – tomatoes! First I made an easy and healthy tomato, mango and avocado and pasta salad and accompanied it with a tomato, watermelon and feta skewers with balsamic glaze.
- Spicy Tomato Mango and Avocado Pasta Salad
- 12 oz box tricolor whole wheat pasta
- ¼ cup red onion chopped
- ¾ cup cherry tomatoes sliced
- 1 cup avocado diced
- 1 cup mango diced
- 1 cup reduced-fat Italian dressing
- 1 chipotle pepper canned in adobo minced
- 2 teaspoons adobo from from chipotle can
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- fresh cilantro for garnish
- 1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta al denté.
- 2. Drain pasta and let cool.
- 3. In a large bowl, mix pasta, tomatoes and red onion.
- To make the chipotle vinaigrette mix the Italian dressing, minced chipotle pepper, the chipotle adobo, lime juice, agave and salt and pepper. Mix well until smooth.
- 4. Add 1 cup of chipotle dressing to pasta and toss to mix well.
- Fold in mango and avocado
- Garnish with fresh cilantro
This delicious tomato, avocado and mango pasta salad recipe is healthy, nutritious and fresh: the perfect recipe for a picnic at the beach! The mango and avocado along with a spicy chipotle dressing give this recipe a tropical twist and the best part is that it’s easy and low in calories. To make it easy to transport I placed the salad in small mason jars.
To make the skewers you only need grape tomatoes, feta, watermelon and basil. I cut the tomatoes in half and cubed the feta and the watermelon and the kids helped out putting them in small skewers along with the basil. Then all you need to do is drizzle some balsamic reduction and you have a delicious appetizer!
Once we where done with the food we packed our cooler, our picnic blanket and a cooler and headed for the beach. We like to keep active and healthy and spending time outdoors and specially at the beach is something we enjoy doing as a family.
Tips for the Perfect Beach Picnic
- Pack a picnic blanket, a tablecloth or a beach blanket will also do.
- Shade is important: look for a shaded spot beneath palm trees or other vegetation or make sure to bring a beach umbrella or portable gazebo.
- Pack picnic friendly food: Do all the prep work at home and bring food that is easy to transport, easy to eat and that won’t get spoiled. It’s also a great idea to include high-water-content foods like watermelon, cucumber, celery, tomatoes, grapes which will help you stay hydrated.
- Don’t forget the drinks: include refreshing in plastic containers to avoid having glass break at the beach. Try to drink 8 ounces of liquids for every hour you spend in the sun and avoid caffeine and alcohol, as they will only dehydrate you.
- Opt for a cooler instead of a picnic basket: it can get really hot at the beach and it’s important to keep your food fresh and your drinks cold.
- Protect your skin: Apply sunscreen about half an hour before going outdoors to give your skin time to absorb the product. Be sure to reapply sunscreen every couple of hours. If you will be swimming or getting wet opt for a sunscreen hat is waterproof and can be applied on wet skin.
- Sunwear is also important: Always have sunglasses, a hat or visor and a small cover-up or swim shirt to protect yourself from the sun’s rays besides sunscreen.
- Rehydrate your skin after sun exposure, specially if you got a little more sun than you should have.
- Pack wet toweletts for people to clean their hands before and after eating.
Not only did we get everything we needed for our family picnic at the beach at Sam’s Club but we found out that you can also get a free health screening on the second Saturday of every month at select Sam’s Clubs. I think that is such a great service and so convenient because you can do it while you’re doing your shopping. Sam‘s Club is the place to go for all of your health and wellness needs this summer from getting fresh produce and fruits, along with all of your other grocery needs, to sun protection and even free wellness checkups and because you buy in bulk you save so much. How great is that!?
Don’t forget to check out the Healthy Living Made Simple online magazine which is filled with great information and recipes that will help you keep your family healthy and active you can find all that great content at HLMS.com.