Disclosure: This is a compensated campaign in collaboration with Latina Bloggers Connect and The National Peanut Board.
I am always on the go juggling working full time from home, driving kids to soccer practice and horseback riding and traveling to conferences or press trips. I know I should get more rest but the truth is I usually don’t get to sleep 8 hours a day and when the afternoon comes around my energy is gone. The same happens with the kids, by the time they get off the bus at 3pm they are exhausted. To get everyone’s energy up we all have an afternoon snack and I have found that there are foods that really recharge our energy and one of them is peanuts.
Just a couple of a spoon fulls of peanut butter in a smoothie, added to oatmeal in the morning or as a dip for celery or bananas provides a energy that lasts for hours. And it’s no wonder because peanuts have more energy boosting protein than any other nut, a whooping 7 grams per serving! Coupled with their more than 30 essential vitamins and nutrients, peanuts are real superfood. Not only that but peanuts and peanut butter are really affordable so you get a great value when you buy peanuts: a nutritious super food that delivers lots of bang for your buck! Something else that I love about peanuts and peanut butter is that you can use them to cook everything from soups and meats, to smoothies and desserts.
I live in Florida and we don’t really get nice cool weather or beautiful fall colors around here but what we can enjoy are the delicious flavors of the season, so to celebrate fall I decided to make a recipe using peanut butter and pumpkin: a peanut butter and pumpkin cheesecake parfait. This no bake dessert was delicious, so easy to make and the perfect source of energy for my family.
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2 8 oz packages cream cheese softened
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups pumpkin puree or 1 small can
- 3 teaspoons pumpkin spice
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup smooth peanut butter at room temperature
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Whipped cream
- 1/4 chopped peanuts
- Chopped peanuts for garnish
- In a food processor or blender, blend together 1 package cream cheese, sugar and vanilla extract.
- Add pumpkin, cinnamon and nutmeg and puree until smooth. Set aside.
- In a food processor or blender, blend together cream cheese, sour cream, peanut butter and 1 cup confectioner’s sugar. Set aside.
- Mix graham cracker crumbs, chopped nuts and 3 tablespoons of sugar.
- Layer ingredients in desired serving dishes as follows: graham cracker mix, pumpkin cheesecake , peanut butter cheesecake and then the whipped cream. If you have enough space you can layer twice ending with whipped cream.
- Sprinkle chopped peanuts for garnish.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.
I love that this dessert has so many layers and textures: the crunchy graham cracker and peanut mix at the bottom and the chopped peanut garnish, the smooth pumpkin cheesecake followed, the sweet and fluffy whipped cream and the rich peanut butter cheesecake. These where big and the kids finished them in no time while I found myself licking the last of the peanut butter cheesecake off the spoon.
You can visit the National Peanut Board website for more information and for great peanut and peanut butter recipes. What is your favorite recipe using peanuts or peanut butter?
You can check out some of my other Holiday recipes on my Pinterest board below!