Disclosure: This is a compensated campaign in collaboration with Farmland® and Latina Bloggers Connect.
We are getting ready to watch the big game and, like every year, we love getting together with friends and family. We always make something special and this year I got inspired by one of my favorite game time foods: El Torito. Toritos are hamburgers with a sunny side up egg and in Guatemala I used have them all the time. They are so easy to make I don’t know why I haven’t had one in a while. I used Farmland® Homestyle Sausage and the Farmland® bacon to create a delicious spicy sausage and egg hot dog.
I really got excited with this recipe and used all of my favorite ingredients: avocado, cilantro and bacon of coarse!
- 12 Farmland® Homestyle Sausages
- 4 slices of Farmland® bacon
- 6 eggs
- 6 hot dog buns
- 2 cups of shredded potatoes or frozen hash brown
- 1 Hass avocado
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- dried chipotle
- In a large skillet fry the Farmland® Homestyle Sausages until golden brown on al side.
- Make the hash brown according to the package instructions (I used frozen hash brown).
- While the sausages and hash brown are cooking make 6 sunny side up eggs.
- Fry the bacon until crispy.
- Cut the avocado in small pieces.
- Toast the hot dog buns.
- To assemble place about ¼ cooked hash browns on each bun.
- Place the two sausages on top of the hash browns and top with one sunny side up egg.
- Sprinkle with avocado pieces and crumpled bacon.
- Add a dash of salt and a dash of dried chipotle.
- Finish with fresh cilantro.
The hot dogs where so easy to make and I just love how all of the flavors came together: the toasted bun, the crunchy hash browns, the delicious and slightly sweet flavor of the Farmland® Homestyle Sausage, the salty and crunchy bacon and the spicy flavor of the chipotle balancing off with the with the smooth avocado and the freshness of the cilantro. Each mouthful was just heaven! Not only is this recipe easy, quick and delicious but it also looks great and it just takes the idea of a hot dog to a whole new level.
Farmland® has taken pride in perfecting their curing and smoking technique: their bacon is slow smoked over real hardwoods for maximum flavor, and you can really taste the difference. And I was happy to find out that the new Farmland® Homestyle Sausage is gluten free with no MSG!
For more information about the Farmland products you can visit the Farmland website.