Christmas is behind us but at our home we are still waiting for one of our favorite holidays: El Dia de los Reyes Magos or Three Kings Day. On this day children receive gifts from the Three Magi and families get together to celebrate and to eat Rosca de Reyes. Rosca de Reyes is a delicious sweet bread with caramelized fruit that is eaten during this holiday.
I love Rosca de Reyes but I usually do not have the time to make bread, the whole process of making bread from scratch seems a bit daunting to me so I decided to take a few shortcuts and came up with a hack for making Rosca de Reyes buns that only takes a few minutes.
Easy Rosca De Reyes Buns
- Cooking spray
- 3 tubes Pillsbury crescent rolls
- candied fruit
- 1 egg
- sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons orange rind
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon
- 1 tablespoons water
- Preheat the oven to 350℉. Lightly coat muffin pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- Open a can of rolls, spread it out on a cutting board, and split it into triangles.
- Sprinkle with sugar and orange rind.
- Place candied fruit along the short side of the triangle. Roll the dough over the fruit and keep rolling toward the tip of the triangle. Tuck the ends in to make a bun and place in the muffin pan. Repeat with remaining crescent dough.
- Add two tablespoons of water to the egg and mix well to create an egg wash. Brush egg wash on the dough and decorate with almonds and candied fruit.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, until golden. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.
- When cool make icing by combining powdered sugar, lemon juice, and water to make a smooth icing which you can drizzle over the Rosca de Reyes muffins.
- The kids can not wait until they get their presents from Melchor, Gaspar and Balthazar and we will leave a Rosca de Reyes bun for each of the Magi as well as mild and some grass for the camels.
The kids can not wait until they get their presents from Melchor, Gaspar and Balthazar and we will leave a Rosca de Reyes bun for each of the Magi as well as mild and some grass for the camels.