This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #BigGameTreats #CollectiveBias
There is something about watching a game that just makes you feel festive and celebratory. I like to watch the games with family and friends and the food is a great part of our get togethers. I am getting ready for the Big Game and I am sure you are too so I decided to make something fun for out big game celebration as we will be hosting it this year.
It’s no secret that I love empanadas and this time I wanted to make something different so I decided to indulge my sweet tooth and create some chocolate and strawberry empanadas, so on my weekly trip to Walmart I grabbed some SNICKERS® and some fresh strawberries and could not help but grab a bag of Skittles® as well. For this recipe I used some empanada discs I had at home but you can also make this using pie crust, store bought or home made. To make these more festive I shaped the empanadas like a football but these are delicious no matter what the shape.
Game Time Strawberry and Chocolate Football Empanadas
- 12 empanada discs or pie crust cut into 12 football shaped discs
- 1 cup of fresh strawberries diced
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- vanilla frosting
- Remove frozen empanada discs from freezer and let thaw.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Cut the strawberries and the Snickers into small pieces, you can also use the Snickers bites.
- Cut the empanada discs or the pie crust into a football shape
- Place half of the empanada football shaped discs on waxed paper. Put one tablespoon of strawberries and two or three pieces of chocolate in the center of each one.
- Cover each of them with a second football shaped empanada disc.
- Using a brush moisten the edges with water.
- Seal the edges together by pressing down on them with a fork.
- Mix the egg with the water to make egg wash.
- Glaze the tops with beaten egg.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake on a lightly oiled baking sheet or on parchment paper until golden, about 10-12 minutes.
- Decorate with vanilla frosting to make them look more like footballs.
The empanadas were easy to make and the kids even helped me, mostly by eating the SNICKERS bites every time I turned my back, but who can blame them right?
The center piece of our big game day celebration menu where the football empanadas but we also made some delicious black bean layer dips in a jar (you can get the recipe HERE), chocolate cupcakes and some salty and sweet popcorn with Skittles® (my kids love this!).
Snickers are one of my favorite chocolates but until recently I had not cooked with them, I really liked the Snickers bites presentation because it makes it so easy to use them and I loved how amazing they taste when you melt them. I have to tell you that I could not keep my hands off these delicious empanadas!
Next time I will put some into the cupcakes and see how they come out and I love that they are available at Walmart, where I can get everything I need for my big game day party.
The most important elements of a good party are having great food and having great decorations. So to make things more festive I created some fun printables that will help make your big game party a total success! You can download the free game day party printables HERE.