This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #minustheshell #CollectiveBias
While a simple homemade French toast is always a great breakfast idea this Mexican hot chocolate French toast casserole takes breakfast up a notch. It’s chocolate French toast plus that unmistakable Mexican hot chocolate flavor that makes it the perfect comfort food. It works for breakfast, brunch or as a dessert too.
As the holidays approach I have been feeling nostalgic. I’ve been thinking a lot about my family and about celebrating with friends back in Guatemala. Drinking Mexican hot chocolate always makes me feel like I’m back home. Its aroma and taste are so comforting. I mean, what could be better than a hot chocolate drink that brings back happy memories?
Mexican chocolate is one of those perfect winter drinks but it’s still in the ’80s here in Florida. And it feels like the humidity is going to stay here forever. So it’s not really the right weather for a hot Mexican chocolate drink just yet.
Hopefully, we will get at least a few cold days this year. But in the meantime, I thought I could just incorporate my favorite Mexican hot chocolate tablets into a delicious chocolate French toast.
I have to say that my little French toast bake recipe experiment exceeded my expectations. This French toast casserole is so good that we had it for breakfast and then again as a dessert that night.
Ingredients for making Mexican hot chocolate French toast
For this delicious chocolate French toast casserole you will need to the following:
- 1 loaf of good quality bread: country style or peasant bread, challah, brioche, and French bread are some of my favorites for making French toast.
- 1 Mexican chocolate tablet: Mexican hot chocolate can usually be found in the Hispanic section of supermarkets. Unlike cocoa, Mexican hot chocolate comes in solid tablets that you have to dissolve in hot water or milk.
Hover over the image above and click to shop!
- Egg Beaters Original: Egg Beaters Original® has 1/2 the calories of shell eggs and is made with all-natural egg whites. Egg Beaters Originals has added beta-carotene for natural color, and the vitamins and minerals found in yolks minus the calories. It’s a great option if you prefer a taste and experience closer to eating a whole egg, but want to cut back on fat and calories.
- Milk: you can use regular milk or any non-dairy milk instead like soy milk, almond milk or coconut milk.
- Sweetener: you can use sugar, condensed milk or a low-calorie sweetener.
Toppings for your Mexican hot chocolate French toast
You can add a variety of toppings to take this delicious French toast casserole to the next level. Here are some of my favorite:
- Whipped cream: There’s nothing better than homemade whipped cream.
- Chocolate sauce: I like to make my own chocolate sauce. Simply melt some semi-sweet chocolate chips and add a bit of milk until you reach the desired consistency. Yes, it’s that simple.
- Shaved chocolate or chocolate chips: because you can never have too much chocolate!
- Powdered sugar: sprinkling some powdered sugar on your finished chocolate french toast casserole not only makes it taste even better but it also looks great!
- Fresh fruit: I used fresh raspberries, strawberries and blueberries.
Using Egg Beaters instead of eggs
I love Egg Beaters® Original and NEW Egg Beaters® Whole Eggs with NISIN in my fridge. They are so versatile! I can use them to make everything from breakfast frittatas and the best french toast to easy cheesecake and my favorite quiche. Preparing wholesome, homemade dishes is a cinch with Egg Beaters because there’s no cracking or cleanup required. And I’m loving the new packaging!
Egg Beaters Whole Eggs with NISIN is a new product at Walmart. They are 100% Whole Farm Fresh Eggs minus the shell. I use them for recipes that require whole eggs and they make things faster and easier. With no artificial flavors, no artificial colors, and no mess they’re the perfect alternative to shell eggs.
Sometimes I want to use whole eggs in my recipes but other times I want to reduce the calories. That is why I always shop for Egg Beaters Originals and Egg Beaters Whole Eggs with NISIN at Walmart. That way I can enjoy all my favorite foods made with eggs just the way I like them. All without the hassle of cracking shells and cleaning up.
How to make the best French toast casserole
There are a few little tricks you can use to make the best French toast casserole. Here are some tips so that your baked french bread is always amazing.
Tips for the best French toast casserole
- Use good quality sturdy bread: as mentioned before country bread, challah, brioche, and French bread are all great options. Remember to use thick slices and stay away from soft breads which will fall apart.
- Use stale bread instead of fresh bread: stale bread soaks up the custard or milk mixture a lot better.
- Add a little bit of flour to your french toast mix: I usually add 1/4 cup of flour to the mix is thicker and more like batter. This makes for a better french toast!
- Give the bread enough time to soak: You want bread that is soaked with your french toast mixture so give the bread enough time to soak up all the chocolatey goodness. You can even consider leaving your french toast in the fridge overnight.
- Make sure all the custard has been absorbed: to avoid soggy french toast make sure that all of the custard has been absorbed by the bread before baking.
- Modify cooking time according to your preference: if you like a moister french toast, similar to bread pudding you should cook your french toast for a shorter period of time than if you like dryer french toast with a toasted top.
How to make an overnight french toast casserole
For a quick breakfast, you can make this recipe ahead of time. Follow all the steps and leave in the refrigerator overnight instead of leaving it just for an hour. This will give the bread more time to soak up the chocolate and egg mixture. It will also make it easier and quicker to get breakfast on the table the next morning.
You will have to adjust the cooking time. Give it 10 more minutes in the oven to ensure it’s cooked through.
Mexican Hot Chocolate French Toast Recipe
- 1 loaf of bread, thickly sliced
- 2 cups Egg Beaters Original
- 1 tablet of Mexican chocolate
- 1 cup of condensed milk
- 2 cups of milk
- 1/4 cup flour
- Use cooking spray to spray a 13X9″ baking dish.
In a medium saucepan heat milk and Mexican chocolate over medium heat. Mix regularly until the chocolate has completely dissolved.
- Remove from heat and cool completely.
- Whisk Egg Beaters, condensed milk, chocolate milk, and flour together.
- Slice the bread into thick 1/2 inch slices. I used a sliced country bread and cut the slices in half.
- Pour the egg mixture into a shallow dish.
- Soak each bread slice in the mixture and arrange them in the casserole in overlapping rows.
- Pour the rest of the egg and chocolate mixture evenly over and between the bread slices.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour to let the bread soak up all the chocolate and milk batter.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Cover casserole with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for another 30 minutes or until bread is browned.
- Let cool for 10 minutes and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Top with fresh berries.
- Serve with whipped cream and chocolate sauce
Get more great recipes using Egg Beaters here.