This post has been compensated by Inmar Intelligence and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #FunWithGardeinFrozen
These tofu scramble vegan breakfast tacos taste amazing and are easy to make. Combining tofu scramble, bell peppers, black beans, onion, corn, and topped with salsa, avocado, and jalapeños this is sure to become your new favorite vegan breakfast!
What makes these vegan breakfast tacos truly amazing is the addition of Gardein® Breakfast Saus’age Patties, available at Whole Foods Market. We buy lots of Gardein products and the Gardein Original Breakfast Saus’age Patties are one of my favorites because these vegan breakfast patties taste just like the sausage patties I used to eat as a kid. So I get all of the flavor and texture of a breakfast sausage patty but with plant-based ingredients and protein. And these saus’age patties give these the tofu scramble tacos so much flavor!
I made these during the weekend as I’m trying to introduce more plant-based meals into our family’s weekly menu and my husband thought he was eating scrambled egg tacos with lean breakfast sausage. He couldn’t believe it when I told him that these breakfast tacos only had plant-based ingredients.
Tips for making the best tofu scramble
A tofu scramble is a great vegan alternative for scrambled eggs. The secret to making an amazing tofu scramble is to achieve that scrambled egg texture. And just like scrambled eggs a tofu scramble is easy to make and so versatile.
Choose the right tofu -The most important thing for a successful tofu scramble is choosing the right tofu. I prefer to use firm or extra firm tofu so that the tofu scramble doesn’t turn into a mushy substance.
Mix with some veggies – One of the easiest ways to make your tofu scramble flavorful and delicious is to add some veggies. I start off by sauteing some onion and bell peppers. When the veggies are almost done I then add the tofu and the spices.
Add some flavor – There are a few ways in which you can make tofu taste more like scrambled eggs and one of them is adding nutritional yeast. I did not add nutritional yeast for this recipe because these breakfast tacos have so many other ingredients and I didn’t really need it. But if you’re making a simpler tofu scramble nutritional yeast really makes a huge difference. And if you want to go a step further you can finish the tofu scramble by sprinkling a bit of black salt which has a bit of sulfuric taste that makes the tofu taste like eggs.
Spices are key – To make the tofu look like scrambled eggs you can add a bit of turmeric, don’t add too much though or your tofu scramble will taste a bit like curry. I like to play around with spices depending on the type of tofu scramble I’m making. Since I was making tacos with this one I added some cumin and a bit of taco seasoning.
Cook with a bit of moisture – Just before serving I simmer the tofu by adding a couple of tablespoons of water to the hot pan so that the scramble is moist and soft. You can add more or less depending on what type of texture you are going for.
I always add lots of veggies or mushrooms to my tofu scramble. You can add whatever you have a home from tomatoes and spinach to mushrooms or even some delicious crumbled vegan breakfast patties like Gardein Breakfast Saus’age Patties.
Ingredients for making vegan breakfast tacos
What I love about these vegan breakfast tacos is that you can get creative and add any ingredients that you have in your fridge or pantry. I used a lot of ingredients I had on hand so feel free to tweak this recipe and use whatever veggies you have at home.
- Tortillas – I prefer to use corn tortillas but you can also use flour tortillas if you want to. If you’re using large flour tortillas you can even turn this into a vegan breakfast burrito instead of tacos.
- Tofu – I use firm or extra firm tofu to make my tofu scramble and achieve the right texture.
- Gardein Saus’age Patties – The Gardein Saus’age Patties are made with plant ingredients and taste and feel just like breakfast sausage!
- Onion – For these vegan tacos I used red onion but I also love to make these with sweet yellow onions.
- Bell peppers – For this recipe, I used red and green bell peppers. They not only give the tofu scramble a great flavor and a bit of crunch but they also add lots of colors. However you can also add any other vegetables you have at home instead of bell peppers.
- Salsa – You can use homemade salsa or store-bought salsa.
- Black beans – Canned black beans or any beans will work well.
- Corn – I used some leftover grilled corn I had from the day before but canned corn works well too.
- Avocado – I love adding avocado to everything, especially tacos.
- Jalapeños – I like my tacos to be a bit spicy but adding jalapeños is totally optional. If you like spicy foods but don’t have jalapeños at home you can add
- Fresh cilantro – I love adding a bit of cilantro, chives or both to my tacos. I just don’t feel like it’s a taco without cilantro but you can leave this out of the recipe if you don’t like cilantro or don’t have it at home.
The best vegan substitute for breakfast sausage
Without a doubt, Gardein® Breakfast Saus’age Pattie is the best vegan substitute for breakfast sausages that I have found. They are amazing as part of any breakfast and they are the perfect addition to my favorite vegan breakfast tacos. They are an ideal way to bring more plant-based protein into your family’s diet even if you are not vegan or vegetarian.
I love that Gardein products are made with a savory blend of nutritious blend of vegetables, wheat, ancient grains, and veggies with a fantastic meat-like taste and texture. They are delicious and nutritious which makes Gardein products a great replacement for premium lean meat.
We have slowly been adding more and more plant-based protein into our meals and the Gardein products give us creative ways to make some of our favorite plant-based dishes more flavorful, interesting, and delicious. Using Gardein products makes including more plant-based choices in our weekly menu so easy!
I always get my Gardein products at Whole Foods Market because it’s easy to order online and pick up my groceries curve side or have them delivered. When you use Gardein products you don’t need to sacrifice taste and texture if you want to incorporate plant-based variety into you or your family’s diet. And Gardein products are certified always vegan, Non-GMO project verified, and don’t have any artificial colors, flavors or preservatives and no Trans fats, MSG or PHOs so I can feel good about giving them to my family.
Tofu Scramble Vegan Breakfast Tacos Recipe
- 6-8 corn tortillas
- 1 14 oz block of firm or extra-firm tofu, drained
- 3 Gardein® Breakfast Saus’age Pattie, cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/2 cup bell peppers, diced
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of taco seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup of filtered water
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup black beans
- 1/4 cup corn
- 1 Hass avocado, sliced
- 2 jalapeños, sliced
- Fresh cilantro and chives
- Use your hands or a fork to crumble the tofu.
- In a medium pan, heat the oil and add the onion and bell peppers. Cook until soft.
- Add the tofu, turmeric, taco seasoning and cumin to the pan and mix well.
- Add the filtered water and bring the tofu and vegetables to a simmer. The water will start to evaporate, once the tofu has reached your desired consistency remove from heat.
- While the tofu is cooking heat up the tortillas in another skillet over medium heat for about 1 minute turning them once. You want to make sure that your tortillas are hot and crispy on the edges yet still soft enough to fold them.
- To assemble the tacos start by adding the tofu scramble to the tortillas. Then add the diced Gardein Breakfast Saus’age Patties, black beans, corn, and chopped red onion and a couple of tablespoons of salsa. Top with a couple of slices of avocado, jalapeño, fresh cilantro, and chives.
Use your hands or a fork to crumble the tofu.
In a medium pan, heat the oil and add the onion and bell peppers. Cook until soft.
Add the tofu, turmeric, taco seasoning and cumin to the pan and mix well.
Add the filtered water and bring the tofu and vegetables to a simmer. The water will start to evaporate, once the tofu has reached your desired consistency remove from heat.
While the tofu is cooking heat up the tortillas in another skillet over medium heat for about 1 minute turning them once. You want to make sure that your tortillas are hot and crispy on the edges yet still soft enough to fold them.
To assemble the tacos start by adding the tofu scramble to the tortillas. Then add the diced Gardein Breakfast Saus'age Patties, black beans, corn, and chopped red onion and a couple of tablespoons of salsa. Top with a couple of slices of avocado, jalapeño, fresh cilantro, and chives.
Use your hands or a fork to crumble the tofu.