I’ve had a garage gym for years and now that so many people are unable to go to the gym or want to avoid creating your own home gym in your garage is a great solution. Creating a garage gym doesn’t have to be expensive. I will share with you step by step process for turning your garage into a gym as well as recommendations for the best garage gym equipment that will not break your budget.
Creating a gym in your garage is not only a fun project it will also save you so much time and money in the long run. Not only will you be saving on gym memberships, gas and commute time but you will also be able to work out more reguarly and enjoy your workouts more.
5 Easy Steps For Turning Your Garage Into a Gym.
- Clear out your junk. Garages tend to be the place where everything ends up. Throw out, repurpose and give away anything that you have not used in the last year. You can even make some money by selling things you don’t use anymore.
- Maximize space. The space in my garage is very limited so fitting everything in there was the biggest challenge. I started making a floor plan to figure out where to put the machines and made sure to maximize the wall space. I found the Rubbermaid FastTrack Garage Organization System to be the ideal solution when it comes to vertical storage as it stores 10x more by using the space between studs, it can be easily installed in just minutes and it’s also very versatile. Its heavy steel construction makes it extremely durable and because it holds up to 1,750 lbs it can hold lots of equipment. You can add a wide range of accessories easily to put everything you need and can change it around anytime.
- Focus on machines and equipment you will get the most use out of. When it comes to workout equipment stick to the machines you already use at the gym instead of trying something new just because the ad makes it sound amazing. Make sure you have equipment for both cardio and resistance training. In my case because I do crossfit sI have a lot of crossfit equipment. Keep reading for my recommendations for the best and most affordable equipment to buy for your garage gym.
- Make the space comfortable and appealing. For me the most important thing when I work out is to have great music so I have a good set of speakers so that I can workout to the beat of my favorite tunes. You want a space that is functional but making it clean and visually appealing also goes a long way to motivate your workout. I really like that the FastTrack® Garage Organization System has a very clean and elegant look.
- Take the weather into account. We live in Florida and our garage does not have air conditioning so buying a portable air conditioner and a fan was necessary. If you live in a place with cold winters you will need to take that into account so that you can use your gym year round.
Best Equipment for a Garage Gym
One of the hardest things when creating a gym at home is choosing the right equipment. I will share with you my top choices for affordable home gym equipment so you can create a garage gym even with a small budget.
Basic equipment for a garage gym:
- weightlifting barbell: when it comes to a barbell you should focus on a weightlifting barbell that can take the tear and wear for a ling time to come. My best recommendation for a good quality barbell that will last you a long time is the CAP 7-Foot Olympic Bar.
- squat rack with pull-up bar attached: a great budget option when it comes for a squat rack is the Fitness Reality 810XLT Super Max Power Cage does a good job and it is a great value for the price. If your budget allows you to spend a bit more I would recommend the
- weight plates: when it comes to weight plates you can either buy bumper plates or metal plates. Although bumper plates are more expensive than metal plates I would highly recommend making that extra investment on bumper plates. Bumper plates are better for a garage gym as you can drop them without damaging the floor. If you do CrossFit you will definitely need to buy bumper plates. If you don’t plan to do CrossFit or Olympic Weighlifting you can save a lot of money by buying metal weight plates. You can also combine bumper and metal plates. CAP bumper plates are a good value for the money and if you’re looking for metal plates XMark Black Diamond Plates are good quality and I really like that they have a 1-year warranty (as opposed to a 30-day warranty which is the case with many others). Sometimes you can score great used weight plates if you have some patience and look for some locally on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace.
- bench press: a bench press will get a lot of use. Beyond bench pressing, it can be used for many upper and lower body movements. When it comes to a bench press look for one that is versatile and portable in case it’s something you have to move around in your garage.
This basic equipment will give you what you need to get your garage gym started.
Tips for installing the FastTrack® Garage Organization System
Measure your space. Decide where you will be installing the FastTrack® Garage Organization System and measure that space so you know what fits in that space.
Take into account what equipment you will want on your wall so that you can plan the installation around that. Always leave some space for expansion as you may want to install more accessories or even more rails once you acquire more equipment.
Make a plan. It does not matter if you are good at drawing up plans or not, making a simple drawing somewhat in scale will help you to figure out how to maximize the space and make sure you have a place for everything. Don’t worry if you don’t get it right the first time, the great thing about doing this on paper is that you can change it around until you find the configuration that works the best for you. Since the FastTrack® Garage Organization System is very versatile you can move and change the accessories very easily.
Start off with your rails. The FastTrack® Garage Hang Rails the backbone of the FastTrack® Garage Organization System, FastTrack rails are quick and easy to install. The heavy steel construction provides extra durability, and each rail holds up to 1,750 lbs.
Install in just minutes. All you need to install the FastRack® Rails into your wall is a drill, a level and the FastTrack® Garage Hardware Pack. The heavy-duty screws will allow for a quick and easy installation and the Hardware Pack matches the color of the FastTrack® system for a consistent and clean look. Use one pack to mount a 48″ FastTrack® Rail and two packs to mount an 84″ FastTrack® Rail. After installing the heavy steel rail you just slip on the cover giving it a clean, finished look.
Choose your accessories. There is a great variety of accessories which easily attach to the rail. You just slide them, no need for screws and you can move them around to create a customized garage storage system that can change as your get more equipment so everything is easy to move around.
When everything was done I could not believe how spacious my gym feels even though I have quite a few machines including an air fan bike, a rowing machine, a squad rack and gymnastic rings. On the FastTrack® Garage Organization System I was able to place a lot of my gear including a mobility bar, a 45lb weight lifting bar, weight lifting belt, dip belt, wrist straps, lock-jaw collars, spring collars, climbing Rope and gymnastic grips.
Thanks to the FastTrack® Garage Organization System I was able to turn my garage into a gym in just a few hours and now I have a place to work out right at home. Creating a gym at home can save you lots of money on gym memberships but most importantly it makes it easier to workout because you take advantage of you time better since you don’t have to drive anywhere and there is no excuse for not going to the gym if the weather is bad.