Thank you, First Alert, for sponsoring this post. Don’t wait to replace!
One very important part of my spring cleaning routine every year is making sure that as I clean and declutter, I also make sure to make my home safer. One of the things that is always on my to-do list every year is checking the smoke and carbon monoxide alarms we have in our home.
Did you know alarms don’t last forever? That’s right! Those alarms installed in your home’s ceiling, the ones we tend to forget about completely unless they accidentally set off (in our home cooking bacon tends to do the trick) should be replaced at least every ten years. And there is no better time than now to check and replace your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms!
How to make sure that your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are working properly:
- First, make sure that you have smoke and carbon monoxide alarms in every bedroom and on every level of your home to alert your family and give you enough time to get to safety quickly.
- Check the back of your alarms for the manufacturing date; if it’s ten years old, it’s time to replace them.
- If it’s time to replace, upgrade to First Alert 10-Year Sealed Battery Combination Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Alarms, which provide 2-in-1 protection. This alarm provides 10-years of protection and eliminates the need for battery replacements and late-night battery chirps for a decade!
- Replace batteries every six months.
- Test your alarms regularly.
Create your own home fire escape plan
- When it comes to fire safety, being prepared is the most important thing you can do for your family. Besides making sure that your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are working properly it is also important to put in place a home fire escape plan.
- Get the family together and do a walk-through of the house.
- Make sure there is a smoke and carbon monoxide alarm in each bedroom and that it’s working properly.
- Find at least two ways out of each room, including doors and windows. If they are older, make sure that your kids can open the windows on their own.
- Make a simple plan of your home and mark all of the exits.
- Designate an outside meeting place a safe distance away from your home.
- Practice your escape plan at least twice a year.
Why I choose First Alert Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms for my home
Keeping my family safe is the most important thing for me. Smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are a great way to ensure that we are alerted if there is a fire or a CO leak and my family can get to safety out of harm’s way quickly.
I love that the 10-Year Sealed Battery Combination Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Alarm from First Alert protects my family both from fires and from carbon monoxide exposure. I like that this alarm provides 10-years of protection and eliminates the need for battery replacements and late-night battery chirps for a decade!
- Guatemalan Mayan Artist Exhibit Art at Tanya Brillembourg Art in Key Biscayne - November 28, 2022
- Helping Build Resilience in Children through Community Connections - November 22, 2022
- The Best Halloween Cocktails - September 26, 2022