Thanksgiving is about family, about giving thanks and about gathering around delicious food and that is something Latinos know a lot of. For me gathering with family and friends around the table always involves making food that connects us to our culture and in my case mis raices chapinas (Guatemalan roots).
Thanksgiving is an American holiday and it is not celebrated in most Latin American countries, but that doesn’t mean you can’t give Thanksgiving a bit of tropical sabor! I believe in food as a way to connect with family and with your traditions, so play around with the ingredients and get some Latino flavor in there or choose one of these great ideas to give this Thanksgiving un toque especial!
Turkey and other options
From chiles to Adobo, these recipes are all ‘pa chuparse los dedos!
- Adobo Turkey with Red-Chile Gravy
- Pavochon from Puerto Rico
- Chompipe or Pavo Salvadoreño (Turkey recipe from El Salvador)
- Mole-Roasted Turkey with Masa Stuffing and Chile Gravy
- Puerto Rican Pernil (Poat Roast)
- Grilled Pernil
Here is a delicious array of Latino inspired stuffing recipes, so hard to choose just one don’t you think?
- Green Plantain Turkey Stuffing or Mofongo
- Cuban Fufu Stuffing with ripe plantains
- Cornbread stuffing with chorizo and roasted poblano chiles
- Yuca Stuffing
- Kickass Mexican Chorizo Cornbread Stuffing
- Mexican Turkey Stuffing
- Southwest stuffing with chayote
- Masa cornbread stuffing with chiles
- Poblano chile and pumpkin seed stuffing
- Carambola (starfruit) cranberry sauce
- Modern mexican cranberry sauce
- Cranberry membrillo (quince) sauce
Side dishes with sabor Latino
- Chorizo Stuffed acorn squash
- Sweet Potato chipotle gratin
- Sweet Potatoes with Orange Piloncillo Syrope & Chile de Arbol
- Chorizo, roasted corn and currant dressing
- Sweet potato and chile ancho pureé
- Roasted chayotes with garlic
- Pumpkin cooked in raw sugar
- Whipped chipotle sweet potatoes