This carrot cake tres leches in a jar is perfect for a spring picnic or for an Easter brunch.
We like to create not only traditional foods but also like to experiment blending traditional foods with our new Ameriacan favorite flavors. With Spring here I decided to combine two of our favorite things: carrot cake and the traditional tres leches cake.
For this version of tres leches I took a little short cut and used a boxed carrot cake mix, however I added an egg white to make the cake more dense so it would not fall apart when I injected the milk mixture into it. It also made cutting the round pieces of cake to fit into the mason jar easier.
I love the combination of the carrot cake and the coconut tres leches mixture and the yogurt based frosting makes this treat less sugary than a regular carrot cake.
Tres Leches Carrot Cake With Yogurt Cream Cheese Frosting
Ingredients for Tres Leches Carrot Cake
- 1 box of carrot cake mix (I used Duncan Hines Decadent carrot cake mix with real raisins and carrots)
- 1 cups hot water (I reduced this from 1 1/4 cups which was what the box called for to make cake denser)
- 3 Large Eggs + 1 egg white (I added the egg white to make the cake denser)
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- shredded carrot for garnish
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 can condensed milk
For Yogurt Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 cup low fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Bake cake in a large 9″ x 13″ pan until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on cooling grid 10 minutes.
- Turn carrot cake out onto cooling rack and let cool completely on rack.
- Mix the coconut milk, condensed milk and evaporated milk.
- Using the inside open space of the mason jar lid as a guide cut out circular pieces of the cake.
- Place of a piece of cake in the mason jar and inject the cake with the tres leches mixture.
- If you do not have an injector, then pierce the cake carefully with a fork and then spoon the 3 leches mixture over top.
- In a medium bowl bring the cream cheese, yogurt, powdered sugar and vanilla together and whisk until smooth.
- Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to thicken.
- Spread the yogurt cream cheese frosting on the tres leches carrot cake inside the mason jar.
- Depending on the size of the mason jar you can repeat this process with another piece of tres leches carrot cake and another layer of yogurt cream cheese frosting.
- Garnish with shredded carrot.