These delicious and easy low-carb Greek yogurt chicken salad lettuce wraps with mango are a lighter, healthier dinner option and have fewer carbs than regular chicken salad. They are a refreshing appetizer for your summer BBQ, a summer lunch option, or the ideal picnic party food. This keto-friendly chicken salad recipe uses Greek yogurt and mango lettuce wraps, perfect for an easy and quick low-carb dinner that your whole family will love! I use non-fat Greek yogurt to give this chicken salad wrap a creamy and tangy flavor. This healthy chicken salad with crunchy lettuce leaves is a healthy and nutritious meal you can enjoy without the guilt!
Quick and Easy Recipe for Chicken Mango Lettuce Wraps
This year, I am making an effort to eat better and healthier. This chicken salad lettuce wrap recipe made with Greek yogurt has fewer calories, fewer carbs, and more protein than a regular chicken salad made with mayo. And the best part: it is so much tastier!
Trying to eat healthier with today’s hectic life can be a challenge. And finding low-carb, highly nutritious recipes your family will love is a goal many of us have in mind. So, to achieve a healthier lifestyle, these wholesome chicken salad lettuce wraps are now one of our go-to weekday dinner recipes. They are perfect as delicious appetizers, a healthy dinner, or low-calorie meal alternatives at our summer BBQ parties and picnics.
These low-carb chicken salad wraps are so good even my kids gobble these up. Made with non-fat Greek yogurt, you will be amazed how easy they are to make; all the great taste of a creamy chicken salad without all the guilt! And when combined with the freshness of the veggies and mango, these chicken salad lettuce wraps are fast becoming one of our favorite healthy recipes.
What is a Lettuce Wrap?
A lettuce wrap is a taco-style dish that uses lettuce instead of a tortilla to hold the fillings. It usually has lean meat, freshly chopped veggies, and a tasty sauce but substitutes the tortilla with a crispy lettuce leaf.
While lettuce wraps originated in China, they’ve since migrated throughout the world as a healthy option full of flavors. I usually serve these chicken salad lettuce wraps as a refreshing appetizer or as a nutritious main dish for the kids.
What Are the Ingredients for Low-Carb Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps with Mango?
To make these healthy chicken salad wraps, you need a few simple ingredients you probably have at home. I used chicken, Greek yogurt, onions, celery, lime juice, and lettuce. As for the cilantro and mango, you can easily find them at the produce section of your regular grocery store.
I used non-fat plain Greek yogurt for this chicken salad recipe as an alternative for mayonnaise. I prefer using non-fat Greek yogurt, as it is high in protein, calcium, and other nutrients with many health benefits and I love the tanginess it brings. But you can also use plain yogurt o mayo; just make sure they are non-fat to keep this nutritious recipe on the healthy side.
What Is the Best Lettuce for Lettuce Wraps?
The best lettuce leaves for wraps are sturdy ones with thick ribs on each leaf. Iceberg lettuce is usually the go-to lettuce when it comes to lettuce wraps. The leaves are big and easy to fold over the filling, and Iceberg has a bit of crunch, with I like.
One of my favorite lettuces for wraps is Romaine. It has a mild flavor and long crunchy leaves that hold all the filling perfectly. Plus, the darker green leafy parts have a reputation for having more nutritional value than most red or green leaf lettuce, including iceberg lettuce. The only con with Romain is that you can only use the larger outer leaves for lettuce wraps.
How to Make the Best Chicken and Mango Low Carb Wraps in 3 Easy Steps
- In a large bowl, place the cooked chicken, Greek yogurt, mango, onion, celery, and lime juice. Add salt and pepper to taste and mix until well combined.
- Add a large spoonful of the chicken mixture to each lettuce wrap. Fold the lettuce in half like a taco.
- Sprinkle with fresh cilantro and serve. It’s that easy!
Tips for Making Healthy Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps
- Experiment with other meats: don’t be afraid to try different proteins like skinless turkey or tuna. You can also use plant proteins like tofu or chickpeas to make this recipe vegetarian.
- Chop small, pack big! Cut the veggies into small pieces to make the most out of these healthy mango chicken lettuce wraps. This way, you guarantee that each bite packs a lot of flavors.
- Make It Seasonal: The best part about chicken salad is its versatility! I used fresh mangos as they pair deliciously with yogurt and chicken. But you can take some inspiration from seasonal ingredients and mix things up. For example, grapes, apricots, and papaya are great substitutes for mango.
Make Ahead of Time
You can make the chicken salad ahead of time and store it in the fridge in an airtight container for up to three days. I usually make the chicken salad in the morning or the day before, but I do not add the mango or wrap them in lettuce until I’m about to serve it.
I like to cook a couple of pounds of chicken breasts and freeze them in Ziplock bags, previously portioned and adequately labeled. And whenever I want to try new low-carb dinner ideas or need a quick healthy bite on the run, I always have my protein ready! But, of course, you can also cut down on the prep time substantially by using store-bought rotisserie chicken.
I get my rotisserie chicken from the local supermarket as it tastes great and is always juicy. I like to use the entire chicken for a mix of white and dark meat, but you can use only the chicken breasts and save the dark meat for something else. Using rotisserie chicken to make this low-carb chicken salad is a great shortcut to take so that you can make this rotisserie chicken salad with Greek yogurt in under 30 minutes!
What is the Best Way to Store Green Chicken Lettuce Wraps?
These healthy chicken salad lettuce wraps taste best when freshly made. However, you can keep any leftover chicken salad in an airtight container or Ziploc bag in the fridge for up to three days.
As for any unused lettuce leaves, you can easily store them in your fridge. Follow these simple steps, and you will have crunchy, crisp, fabulous lettuce anytime.
How to keep lettuce fresh in your fridge:
- Fill up a large bowl with cold water and submerge the lettuce leaves, gently swishing the leaves so any grit goes to the bottom. Repeat if the lettuce is too dirty.
- Dry the lettuce leaves with a salad spinner without cramming too many leaves. Spin until all the water has drained, take the basket out, and cover them with paper towels.
- Pop the basket into the fridge and store for up to three days. Remember, lettuce needs a good amount of airflow, in addition to a bit of moisture, to stay crisp.
- If you don’t have a salad spinner, you can use a large colander or strainer instead. Set in on a tray to catch any additional dripping water.
Other Healthy Low-Carb Recipes You Will Love
- Avocado and Chorizo Egg Salad Lettuce Wraps: These avocado and chorizo egg salad wraps are a healthier, low-calorie option than regular egg salad. What’s more, they are so easy to make.
- Pollo en Jocón (Tomatillo Chicken Stew): This easy and healthy recipe for Pollo en Jocón, tomatillo, and cilantro chicken stew, is a traditional dish from Guatemala. It’s delicious and easy to make, and it’s the perfect cold-weather comfort food or a healthy dinner meal.
- Cuban beef picadillo stuffed peppers: These stuffed peppers are an easy and delicious dinner recipe. It is an excellent option if you’re looking for a stuffed pepper recipe without rice. In addition, this stuffed sweet pepper recipe is low-carb and keto-friendly, and it’s quick and easy to make.
While they’re an excellent low-carb option, you don’t have to be on a special diet to enjoy these delicious Greek yogurt chicken salad lettuce wraps with mango. Swapping mayonnaise for Greek yogurt makes these low-calorie chicken salad wraps a great healthy dinner option. The mango adds a twist to the traditional chicken salad, making it sweeter and giving it a tropical flavor. These low-carb lettuce wraps are sure to become one of your new favorite healthy dinner recipes.
- 1 ½ cups chicken breasts
- Cooking spray (original Pam)
- ½ cup Non-Fat Plain Greek Yogurt
- ¼ cup celery, finely chopped
- ½ cup of mango, diced
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Salt & pepper to taste
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- Heart of Romaine lettuce leaves
1. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper on both sides. Preheat a pan on medium/high heat and add spraying pam.
2. Set the chicken on the skillet and cover it with a lid. Cook for about 5-8 minutes, then flip and cook for another 5 minutes. The timing will depend on the size of the chicken breasts. Let them cool off, then cut into small dice and set aside.
3. Place the chicken, Greek yogurt, celery, mango, onion, and lime juice in a large bowl.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste and mix until well combined.
5. Wash lettuce and separate it into leaves, patting them dry with a paper towel.
6. Scoop a large spoonful of the chicken mixture to each lettuce wrap. Fold the lettuce in half like a taco.
7. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro and serve.
Cut the veggies into small pieces to make the most out of these chicken lettuce wraps. This way, you guarantee that each bite packs a lot of flavors.
Also, I used fresh mangos as they pair deliciously with yogurt and chicken. But you can take some inspiration from seasonal ingredients and mix things up. For example, grapes, apricots, papaya, and even bananas are great substitutes for mango.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Chicken Wraps Serving Size: 1 Chicken Wrap
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 138Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1.1gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 74mgCarbohydrates: 8.2gFiber: 1.2gSugar: 5.9gProtein: 17.1g
2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
- Frijoles Blancos Con Espinazo Recipe from Guatemala (White Beans with Pork) - December 1, 2023
- Piloyada Antigueña: A Guatemalan Pork and Bean Recipe - December 1, 2023
- Ultimate Chocolate Peppermint Christmas Cookies: The Best Dark and White Chocolate Cookies - November 30, 2023