This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #CelebraConNestle #CollectiveBias
This spiced cherry arroz con leche is a festive twist on the traditional dish making it a perfect dessert for Christmas or Three Kings Day. We’re excited to embrace the holiday season and, like every year, I love sharing traditions like Las Posadas and el Día de Reyes (Three Kings Day) with my kids. This year we are hosting a holiday dinner for Three Kings Day for my in-laws to thank them for having shared their home with us for over a year now while we save to build our own house. My mother in law loves arroz con leche but I wanted to make this dessert really special so I combined it with a homemade spiced cherries. Arroz con leche is a fairly easy dessert but the secret to making amazing arroz con leche lies in using CARNATION® Evaporated Milk. The evaporated milk makes it creamier and gives it a delicious taste. We loved this recipe so much when I made it this week and we enjoyed it while putting up the tree. That is why we’re making it again
Spiced Cherry Arroz Con Leche
Ingredients for the Arroz Con Leche
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup of Carnation Evaporated Milk
- 1 12 oz can of condensed milk
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
Ingredients for the Spiced Cherries
- 2 1/2 cups of cherries, pitted (I used frozen cherries, defrosted)
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- zest of one lime
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon clove
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- In a small saucepan combine all the ingredients for the spiced cherries. Heat until boiling softly then reduce heat and simmer for 15-20minutes.
- Transfer to a glass container and let the spiced cherries cool.
Add rice, Carnation Evaporated Milk, milk, condensed milk, cinnamon stick and cinnamon stick to a medium saucepan. Heat until boiling softly.
Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until liquid has reduced and the rice is to your desired consistency.
- Refrigerate arroz con leche for a least an hour.
- To make the spiced cherry arroz con leche arrange the ingredients in individual dessert cups. Add two tablespoons of spiced cherries, top with a layer or arroz con leche (rice pudding), add another layer of spiced cherries and a final layer of arroz con leche. Top with a few spiced cherries and lime zest and garnish with a cinnamon stick.
Carnation Evaporated Milk has always been a staple in my family’s kitchen. For generations, my mom and grandma have used it to make some of our favorite holiday desserts from flan and tres leches to arroz con leche. Carnation is a brand that I trust and that is tied to family traditions and celebrations and traditions and I am so excited that now, aside from the traditional Carnation Evaporated Milk can I can also find it in tetra packs at Walmart. These are ideal so that I can use it again and again, especially when the recipe doesn’t call for the entire can. The tetra packs make it so easy to pour. We will be having this spiced cherry arroz con leche on January 6th, as we always have a special dinner on the eve of el Dia de Reyes. After dinner, we always set up the water and hay for the camels and wine for the Reyes Magos. The kids leave their shoes outside their door or under the tree so that each of the kings: Gaspar, Melchor and Baltazar will leave a present for them. On the morning of the 7th we all get up early to see what the Three Kings have left. My daughter always checks the hay and water first to see if the camels came too. My kids usually get books in Spanish from the Tres Reyes which is great because this motivates them to read more in Spanish. On that day we will usually have a Rosca de Reyes after lunch. You can get more great recipes with Carnation Evaporated Milk HERE. Do you celebrate Three Kings Day with your familia?