Painting Easter eggs is a fun tradition for kids. In Guatemala, painting eggs is also a tradition; it takes place a little earlier than Carnaval. It also involves smashing those painted eggs over the heads of other children in a great Carnaval tradition. But don’t worry! The eggs are drained of their yolks and filled with pica-pica or confetti, making your Cascarone fight more fun and far less painful.
How To Make Cute and Easy Cascarones
Making cascarones is just a little harder than making traditional American-style Easter eggs. First, die your eggs in a traditional Easter egg dye and allow them to dry completely. Reserve the dyed water.
Next, the adults can poke a small hole in the blunter end of the egg and hold it over a bowl to drain ( you can freeze these or make a lovely frittata with your cascarones eggs). Then, rinse the inside out and allow the egg to dry hole down overnight.
The next day, take some bio-degradable confetti and create a funnel out of paper or use a kitchen funnel. Pour the confetti into the egg. Next, prepare Elmer’s glue wash by combining ¾-cup of Elmer’s Glue-All into a bowl. Then, add ¼-cup cool water (reserved from your Easter egg dying) and stir.
Rip some thin napkins and cover the hole with the napkin. Using the colored Elmer’s Glue Wash, seal the napkin around the sides of the egg. Let it dry completely. When all your cascarones are dry, get ready for the egg fight to begin. Just be careful with your cascarones since eggs can be sharp. It’s safer to crack directly on the top of your head. Have fun!
Other Easter Ideas You Will Love
- Fun Easter Basket Ideas For Boys: Lots of Easter basket ideas for boys of all ages, and you’re sure to find something your little one will love. From slime and candy to Star Wars and Marvel-themed Easter baskets, there is something for everyone.
- Creative Decorating Ideas For Easter Eggs: Check these unique out-of-the-box creations to decorate your Easter eggs. You can easily make them at home as these give so many possibilities of what you can do with eggs.
- DIY Easter Egg Basket Decoration: Bring a touch of the season and holiday into your home with this cute DIY Easter egg basket decoration. This bunny and Easter egg-themed basket is more modern-looking.
- 10 Kid-Friendly Easter Party Ideas: From adorable Easter party favors, fun party activities, and Easter party foods, these kid-friendly Easter party ideas will help you create an incredible Easter party your kids will remember for years.
- Latino-Inspired Easter Eggs: These Latino-inspired Easter egg creations are a super cute and colorful way to make your baskets pop. They are so much fun that your kids will love decorating them!
- Fun And Easy Easter Crafts For Kids: You’ll love all these adorable crafts on the list – from cute spring animals to Easter egg projects, there’s something for everyone! Your kids will love these fun Easter crafts.
- Galaxy Easter Eggs: Unique Easter Egg Decorating Idea - March 23, 2023
- Best St Patrick’s Day Freak Shake Recipe - March 16, 2023
- Best Bailey’s Desserts: Irish Cream Desserts to Celebrate St Patty’s Day - March 14, 2023
3 thoughts on “Cascarones for Easter”
These sound really fun to make. Thank you for sharing this tradition with us.
This sounds like a fun tradition ~ what do you usually do with the actual egg part of the eggs? I’m sure they are used in a great recipe.
This is a totally different tradition for me. I love the way the eggs look and i know the children will have great fun breaking them over each other;s heads.