This shop has been compensated by Inmar Intelligence and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #sweetnessrevolution
These easy-to-make Guatemalan pineapple empanadas make for a great dessert or an easy sweet snack. Empanadas de piña, or pineapple empanadas, have been one of my favorite foods since I was a child growing up in Guatemala. Sharing Guatemalan recipes, those recipes for traditional Guatemalan food that I grew up with, always brings me such joy. It makes me feel like I’m sharing a little sweet piece of my childhood and I do hope that you enjoy making these pineapple hand pies as much as I enjoy sharing this piece of my home country with you.
Since I moved to the US more than 13 years ago now, one of the things I miss the most about Guatemala is the food. Guatemalan food holds a special place in my heart and cooking Guatemalan dishes makes me feel closer to home. But I have to be totally honest, most of my favorite Guatemalan dessert recipes are time-consuming and usually have tons of calories. So for this version of Guatemalan pineapple empanadas, I made a few modifications so it’s super easy to make them and so they have a lot less sugar. To do that I used frozen pie mix instead of making the empanada dough from scratch, and I used Truvia® Sweet Complete® Granulated All-Purpose Sweetener and Truvia® Sweet Complete® Confectioner’s Sweetener.
What are Pineapple Empanadas
Empanadas are very similar to hand pies. Pineapple empanadas are a traditional food in Guatemala and many other Latin American countries. This simple and quick dessert or sweet treat is made with fresh pineapple and sugar wrapped in flaky sweet dough.
How can I make pineapple empanadas with fewer calories?
To make this recipe, I replaced sugar with Truvia® Sweet Complete® Granulated Sweetener and confectioner’s sugar with Truvia® Sweet Complete® Confectioner’s Sweetener. With this simple swap, you can reduce the calories in this recipe and in your other favorite dessert recipes too!
Guatemalan Pineapple Empanadas Recipe
- 2 frozen pie crust, or your favorite homemade pie crust
- 4 cups of pineapple, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup Truvia® Sweet Complete® Granulated All-Purpose Sweetener
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of water
- Additional Truvia® Sweet Complete® Granulated Sweetener
- 1/4 cup Truvia® Sweet Complete® Confectioner’s Sweetener
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Add the pineapple, Truvia® Sweet Complete® Granulated Sweetener, cinnamon stick, and vanilla to a medium pot.
- Cook the pineapple filling over medium-high heat until boiling. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes stirring regularly.
- Mix the cornstarch and the 2 tablespoons of water and add to the pot and mix well. Simmer for another 5 minutes or until the pineapple filling has thickened.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Place the pie crust dough on waxed paper. Using a round 4″ cookie cutter cut the pie crust into circles. Combine the leftover pie crust and roll with a pin until flat and about the same thickness as the original pie crust dough and continue cutting empanada discs until you have about 12 4″ disks.
- To assemble the empanadas place 2 tablespoons of pineapple filling in the center of each empanada disc.
- Using a brush moisten the edges of the empanada discs.
- Fold the empanada discs and bring the edges together sealing them by pressing down on them with a fork.
- Beat the egg with a tablespoon of water.
- Glaze the tops with an egg wash mixture and sprinkle with Truvia® Sweet Complete® Confectioner’s Sweetener
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper bake until golden, about 10-12 minutes.
I really love that the new Truvia® Sweet Complete® Granulated Sweetener and Truvia® Sweet Complete® Confectioner’s Sweetener are sweetened with stevia with zero calories per serving and are used just like sugar. And because Truvia® Sweet Complete® Granulated Sweetener is a cup-for-cup replacement for sugar it’s easy to use it in all of my favorite recipes, no guesswork required. They are both keto-friendly as well. I am thrilled that now I also have an option for when I want a zero-calorie sweetener alternative for my favorite dessert recipes with the new Truvia® Sweet Complete® Confectioner’s Sweetener which measures and sweetens like confectioners sugar in all of my favorite recipes.
I always have Truvia® Sweet Complete® Sweeteners and use them for everything from sweetening my coffee to baking and browning in all of my favorite foods. I get it at my local Publix every time I shop there, and I love how convenient it is to order all of my groceries online and pick-up in-store or just have them delivered!
Right now you can Save $1.50 on any ONE (1) package of Truvia® Stevia Sweetener when you buy it at Publix. Offer valid 3/18 – 4/15