I didn’t think there was any way to improve on the perfection that is chocolate flan. Yet this Nutella chocolate flan does just that by combining the delicious taste of chocolate Nutella with the soft, creamy texture of flan. Topped with fresh fruit, this Nutella flan is the ultimate heart-shaped chocolate dessert!
Easy Nutella Chocolate Flan You’ll Fall in Love With
If you’re looking for a delicious yet easy chocolate dessert for Valentine’s day, these Nutella flan hearts are perfect for celebrating Valentine’s. These cute heart-shaped desserts are also a big hit with kids or for a romantic date night with your significant other. So definitely, I’m making them again for Valentine’s for my family.
Easy Nutella Flan
I used heart-shaped ramekins for this recipe, but any ramekin will do. If you want to maintain Valentine’s theme, all you have to do is decorate your Nutella chocolate flan with fruit hearts. To make the strawberry hearts, I used to top my heart-shaped flan. I used a mini heart-shaped cookie cutter. Of course, you can make your strawberry hearts without a cookie cutter.
But, What Is Flan?
Flan is a milk and egg custard dessert usually topped with caramel. It is similar in taste and texture to creme bruleé except that creme bruleé has a hard caramel crust. Traditional flan is very basic, combining rich custard with bittersweet caramel. Its simplicity makes it ideal for giving it your personal twist! Although many flan purists prefer traditional flan, you can add different flavors and toppings.
Flan originated in Spain. Then it traveled around the world along with Spanish and Portuguese colonizers. As a result, you can find slightly different versions of flan in many parts of the world, especially in Latin America. Today, most flan recipes use condensed or evaporated milk instead of fresh milk.
Growing up in Guatemala, flan was always a staple dessert and one of my favorites. And in Spain and many other countries, flan is a traditional dessert enjoyed during the Noche Buena. And this adorable heart-shaped dessert is perfect for Valentine’s Day!
Can I Make This If I Don’t Have Nutella?
Yes! If you don’t have Nutella, don’t like Nutella (gasp!), or are allergic to Nutella, you can still make this luscious chocolate flan recipe. First, simply replace the Nutella with semi-sweet chocolate or cocoa. Then, melt an additional four oz. of semi-sweet or dark chocolate and combine it with the milk.
You can also use ½ cup of cocoa powder. Taste to see if you need to add some additional sugar since the Nutella is sweeter than the semi-sweet chocolate and the cocoa powder.
Can I Make Flan Ahead of Time?
You can flan make this ahead of time. I find that it’s easier to store flan in the ramekins or mold where you made it. I wait to unmold my flan just before serving, so it doesn’t fall apart.
You can keep flan for up to five days in the refrigerator. To store it, cover the mold or ramekin with plastic wrap or wax paper. Decorate with fruit just before serving.
The Best Nutella Chocolate Flan Recipe
Now for the recipe for Nutella chocolate flan. I combined Nutella and chocolate for this recipe to get a more decadent chocolate dessert. Yet you can still clearly taste that unmistakable Nutella.
Ingredients for Nutella Flan
- Four eggs
- One 14-ounce can of sweetened condensed milk
- One 12-ounce can of evaporated milk (or milk of your choice)
- One teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ½ cup of Nutella Hazelnut Spread
- 4 ounces of dark chocolate for melting
- Heart-shaped ramekins (optional)
- Pomegranate arils
- Fresh mint
How to Make the Best Nutella Flan
- Preheat the oven to 325F degrees.
- In a medium saucepan, heat almond milk and add Nutella and dark chocolate. Mix until the chocolate has melted completely and has combined with the milk.
- Add the milk to a blender and blend for a few seconds until you achieve smooth chocolate milk.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs. Next, beat in condensed milk, chocolate milk, and vanilla until smooth.
- Pour egg mixture into individual molds or ramekins.
- Place the ramekins in a 2-quart square baking dish.
- Place the baking dish on the oven rack.
- Pour boiling water into the baking dish around the custard cups to a depth of 1 inch.
- Bake for 30 to 45 minutes or until the knife inserted in the center of the flan comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Unmold your Nutella chocolate flans. Follow the tips below on the best way to unmold flan.
- Top with fresh berries and mint leaves.
How Do You Unmold Flan?
For a long time, I struggled to unmold my flan. Some websites will tell you to run a knife on the side of your mold or ramekins, but this usually causes you to damage the sides of your flan. So when you unmold it, you don’t get a “perfect” flan.
Follow these steps to easily unmold the flan without damaging it:
- Before unmolding the flan, remove it from the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for ten minutes.
- Fill a shallow dish with hot water (not boiling, just hot from the tap). Place the ramekin or mold in the water for 5 seconds.
- Tap the sides of your mold or ramekins with the palm of your hand until you hear a sucking sound when the seal between the mold and the custard loosens. You want to lessen the seal between the custard and the mold.
- Place a plate on top of the mold or ramekin and turn the plate upside down. Then, holding the mold and plate together, shake firmly up and down until you hear the seal breaking.
- Lift the mold slowly so that the flan slides onto the plate.
Other Great Flan Recipes
I am a huge fan of flan. We had flan all the time when I was a kid, and it brings back so many great memories. My mom was not much of a cook, so we had the boxed flan, which was not bad. But now that I am an adult and enjoy cooking and experimenting in the kitchen, I have my basic flan recipe, which I modify to add different flavors to my flans. Here are some of my favorite flan recipes:
- Eggnog Flan: If you’re looking for a creative dessert, give this Eggnog Flan a try! I decided to give the traditional flan recipe a twist, substituting milk with delicious eggnog. It came out quite tasty, with a creamy texture and unique holiday flavors. So, turn one of your favorite holiday drinks into a sweet, creamy custard flan everyone can enjoy!
- Chocolate Pumpkin Flan Cake: These chocolate pumpkin flan mini Bundt cakes are an excellent dessert for entertaining this holiday season, and they are easy and quick to make. Half chocolate and half flan, this creamy dessert is delicious and looks so festive.
- Caramel Apple Flan: This easy-to-make apple custard dessert brings together the flavors of caramel apples and the creamy taste of flan. It’s the perfect flan to enjoy this fall or any time you are in the mood for a decadent dessert. And flan is always a crowd-pleaser with family and friends, and it certainly looks festive.
- Mocha Flan: The flavoring is usually vanilla for a traditional flan, but I enhanced my flan recipe with Starbucks coffee. Of course, you can use your favorite brand. But whatever kind of coffee you choose, be sure to try my flan recipe. It makes a great, crowd-pleasing dessert to share at a holiday party! It is also a creamy treat for your family on Valentine’s Day (or any other day… Besides, any day is a good day for flan!)
- Hazelnut Coffee Flan: I have always loved hazelnut, so I decided it would be the ideal starting point for a new flan recipe. I added some coffee too, and I have to say that the flan is delicious, and the coffee and hazelnut flavors complement each other perfectly. My husband, who can not live without his daily fix of coffee, had a hard time leaving some for the rest of us!
More Creative Valentine’s Day Ideas You’ll Love
What better time than Valentine’s Day to show your loved ones what they mean to you? And maybe you are looking for out-of-the-box ideas for gifts that reflect the love you have for them. So here are some of the best romantic ideas to make this year’s Valentine’s Day special. You can thank me later!
Best Chocolate Desserts For Valentine’s Day
From chocolate mousse and the classic chocolate lava cake to chocolate bombs, chocolate flan, and chocolate-covered apples, there are many chocolate desserts here to choose from. So whether you’re celebrating with your honey or making Valentine’s treats for the kids, there is a delicious chocolate recipe to wow all your loved ones!
Delicious Valentine’s Breakfast Recipes
Whether planning to surprise your sweetheart with breakfast in bed or are looking for a cute kid-friendly Valentine’s breakfast, you’re sure to find a Valentine’s recipe good enough to fall in love with. From fluffy heart-shaped pancakes and delicious breakfast casseroles to fancy egg recipes, and vegan Valentine’s breakfast ideas, there’s something here for everyone!
Best Valentine’s Charcuterie Boards Inspiration Ideas
if you’re looking to surprise your loved one, a Valentine’s Charcuterie Board is a great way! So I have rounded up some of the prettiest (and, dare I say) easiest Valentine’s charcuterie board ideas. From Valentine’s dessert grazing boards and cheese platters to Valentine’s platters and snack boards, there’s something for everyone!
10 Spicy Dishes Perfect For Valentine’s Day
Sharing a home-cooked meal with your special someone on Valentine’s Day is a beautiful way to celebrate the holiday. One great way to spice things up on this romantic day is to cook a deliciously spicy meal for dinner. However you wish to warm up the holiday, these delicious spicy dishes will make your Valentine’s Day a little hotter.
10 Delicious Valentine’s Day Cocktails
There’s no better way to celebrate the holiday than with a refreshing cocktail. These unique cocktails feature fantastic Valentine’s Day flavors, like strawberry and raspberry, and are festive colors perfect for celebrating the holiday. So enjoy Valentine’s Day with your loved one with one of these delicious cocktails, perfect for Valentine’s Day.
Valentine’s Breakfast Board Everyone Will Love
What I love the most about this Valentine’s breakfast charcuterie board is that you can include all your favorite breakfast foods. From pancakes and waffles to eggs and cinnamon rolls, you can add lots of different things to your breakfast board to make it your own.
Cute Valentine’s Crafts And Activities For Kids
If you’re looking for ways to entertain the little ones this Valentine’s Day, you will find lots of easy and cute Valentine’s crafts for kids here. From Valentine’s cards to free Valentine’s printables, there are many fun activities to choose from.
Beautiful Valentines DIY Paper Boxes And Flowers – Tutorial And Free Printable
These boxes are perfect for Valentine’s or any other occasion, so go ahead and print them. Have some fun with these cute and super easy-to-make DIY paper boxes!
Easy Valentines Craft Ideas
Valentine’s is one of those days that inspire us to create something that shows our loved ones how much we care. But sometimes, we don’t have the time to spend hours doing a complicated DIY project. So here are lots of DIY Valentine’s crafts that are easy to do, and for most of these, you will not have to spend much time or money.
Nutella Chocolate Flan Valentines Day dessert
A creamy twist on traditional flan, perfect for Valentine's dessert Follow these steps to easily unmold the flan without damaging it: As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. This recipe uses estimated serving sizes based on a 2,000-calorie-a-day diet. Values may vary, depending on ingredients, brands, serving packages, or other nutritional factors. It does not include the tally for fresh fruit used as garnish in this recipe
Nutella Chocolate Flan Heart Shaped Valentine's Dessert
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 578Total Fat: 26.2gSaturated Fat: 13.7gCholesterol: 148mgSodium: 206mgCarbohydrates: 68.5gFiber: 1.3gSugar: 67gProtein: 15.7g
A creamy twist on traditional flan, perfect for Valentine's dessert
Follow these steps to easily unmold the flan without damaging it:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This recipe uses estimated serving sizes based on a 2,000-calorie-a-day diet. Values may vary, depending on ingredients, brands, serving packages, or other nutritional factors. It does not include the tally for fresh fruit used as garnish in this recipe
- Galaxy Easter Eggs: Unique Easter Egg Decorating Idea - March 23, 2023
- Best St Patrick’s Day Freak Shake Recipe - March 16, 2023
- Best Bailey’s Desserts: Irish Cream Desserts to Celebrate St Patty’s Day - March 14, 2023
1 thought on “Nutella Chocolate Flan, A Heart-Shaped Valentine’s Dessert”
nutella has got to be one of my favorite ingredients! and the creamy flan combined with the chocolate… yummy!!!